Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Eyewitness

589.  "Eyewitness"            August 21, 2012
2 Peter 1-Part 7
We do not follow cleverly invented stories when we told you about the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but we were eyewitnesses of his majesty.  2 Peter 1:16  NIV

LET IT GLOW

Eyewitness-they testify of what they saw and heard. The testimony of an eyewitness is important in a courtroom during a trial. What they saw or heard happen in a particular incidence is recorded as evidence. The television and newspaper reporters interview eyewitnesses to accidents or incidents. We expect the eyewitness to tell the truth, from his or her perspective as something happened. I have never filled the role as an eyewitness, though my husband has.

Peter, as well as other disciples, were eyewitnesses  to Jesus' ministry, miracles, baptism, and teachings. At Jesus' baptism, they heard God say that He was well pleased with His Son Jesus.
Peter, James, and John, Jesus' inner circle, were eyewitnesses of many events-the raising of Jairus' daughter, Jesus agony at Gethesemane, and the special, specific event of the Transfiguration of Jesus. What did they witness? (Read Luke 9, Matthew 17)
  • Christ's appearance changed into His glorified body;
  • Moses (represented the Law) and Elijah (represented the prophets) and Jesus having a conversation;
  • heard the voice of God the Father;
  • fell on their faces when the Holy God of the universe spoke;
  • Peter mistakenly suggested they build three tabernacles of worship, like booths in celebration of the Feast of Tabernacles, in which the Israelites lived for 7 days;
  • faith of a promised kingdom at Jesus' Second Coming;
  • an experience that would prepare them for their own suffering and death.
What a glorious time with a glorious Savior! Are my times spent with Jesus glorious?
Do I share what I have witnessed with Jesus?

LET IT GROW

What practical lesson did Peter, James, and John learn at the Mount of Transfiguration?
They would also suffer as Jesus. First was James (Acts 12:1-2), John's long life, which led to exile and suffering (Rev. 1:9), and Peter's sufferings and death.
This inner circle learned that suffering and glory go together.
The Father's special love and approval are given to those who are willing to suffer for the sake of the Lord.
Jesus gave Peter a talking to after His resurrection, though it might not have been one of scolding for denying Jesus, but of love-feed My sheep.
Remember, Peter wrote this letter while in prison in Rome, facing his imminent death. Peter was martyred, according to reliable tradition, by being crucified upside down. (MacArthur)

What does all this have to say to me? Am I an eyewitness of the power of Jesus working in my life?
Do I share it or keep it to myself? Will I one day hear me called a good and faithful servant? Do I look forward to entering into His rest for me?

LET IT GO

Proclaim the wonderful gift that God has given me-Salvation in Jesus.

Share His wonderful workings in my life.

Tell others of His Second Coming.

Give Jesus the praise, honor, and worship due Him.

Love.....


  

No comments:

Post a Comment