Tuesday, June 26, 2012

What Should I Be?

549 "What Should I Be?"        June 26, 2012
1 Peter 1-Part 9
Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.  1 Peter 1:16

LET IT GLOW

In our key verse, Peter is quoting Levitcus 11:44, 19:2, and 20:7. His readers were chiefly Jews, which were scattered abroad among Gentiles, and valued Scriptures of truth. (John Gill)

Holiness isn't moral purity but it is the idea of "apartness." God is seperate,  different from His creation, both in His essential nature and in the perfection of His attributes. Inastead of building a wall around His apartness, God calls us to come to Him and share His apartness. (Guzik)

What are some characteristics or attributes of God?
A.W.Pink describes God as:
  • solitary
  • supreme
  • sovereign
  • immutable
  • holy
  • faithful
  • good
  • patient
  • graceful
  • merciful
  • loving
  • wrathful.
Other characteristics may include:
  • omnipresent
  • omnipotent
  • omniscient
  • just
  • righteous
  • infinite
  • truthful
  • eternal
  • triune
  • love
  • unfathomable.
God is so many things that the list could go on and on. Do I revere and respect Him?



LET IT GROW

When I was a child, I wanted to be like my sister. She was ten years older than I, so she took care of me since our mother worked outside the home. She was a good role model for me. She was very smart, valedictorian of her graduation class, very pretty and stylish, as well as popular, football homecoming queen.  But most important of all, she loved me, cared for me, protected me, even took me to church and movies with her. Yes, I looked up to my  sister. In thinking what should I be like, I wanted to be like her. (Actually, I was the opposite.) Peter told us what we should be like-holy, because God is holy.

Shepherd's Notes entitled I, II Peter/Jude, tells us how Peter challenges us to holiness:
  • Prepare your minds(verse 13);
  • be self-controlled (verse 13);
  • set your hope (verse 13);
  • do not conform (verse 14);
  • be holy (verse 14).
It also says that believers who are separated to God, are to behave in a manner that shows them to be "like" God.

Holiness is better translated "all your conduct". On the positive side it is patterning oneself after God; on the negative side, nonconformity to one's former, sinful life. Pagan standards are to be abandoned; the new model is God Hmself. (Liberty Bible Commentary)

The reason for practicing a holy manner of living is that Christians are associated with the holy God and must treat Him and His Word with respect and reverence. We glorify Him best by being like Him.  (MacArthur)

Complete holiness is the desire and duty of every Christian. We must imitate God, though we can never equal Him. (Matthew Henry)

Who do I want to be like? Who do you want to be like? Maybe the correct question is  "Who are we like?"


LET IT GO


Be more like God.

No comments:

Post a Comment