Monday, June 18, 2012

How Much Longer?

543.  "How Much Longer?"              June 18, 2012
1 Peter-Part 3
Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.  1 Peter 1:5

LET IT GLOW


We used to live in various parts of our home state. It was usually a six hour drive to get back home to visit our folks. We didn't seem to mind how long it took, just so we we reached our destination safely and got to see our families. Oh, we'd make a few pit stops along the way, eating, refreshing, and fill up on gas. It seemed to make the trip a bit easier. One car didn't have a radio, though, so we sang, and played games with the kids along the way. We only made the journey once or twice a year. Of course, we heard the famous "Are we there yet?" or "How much longer?" questions. Sometimes I think the same things when trials become so long to end. Peter gives me hope, although.

Believers have a salvation of hope, power, trial, and revelation. Our hope is in the resurrection of Jesus Christ and our inheritance of heaven. Because of our new birth, we should praise God for our coming resurrection and eternal home.

What does verse 5 say that is encouraging?
  • I am kept (phroureo in Greek) by the power of God. It's a military term, where the angels surround me to protect me from bombardment of various trials and temptations so I'm not crushed by depression and despair. God's power guards and guides me. I'm not kept by my own power, but by God's.
  • Supreme power, omniscience, omnipotence, and sovereignty not only keep the inheritance, but also keep the believer secure. No one can steal my treasure, and no one can disqualify me from receiving it.
  • My response to God's election and the Spirit's conviction to  God's election and the Spirit's conviction is faith, but even faith is empowered by God. My continued faith in God is evidence of God's keeping power. Saving faith never dies, for it is permanent.
  • I am kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation, which is the result of God's grace in giving me new life. This is referring to the final, inclusive result of salvation-eternal life. No one has seen nor heard what God has in store for us that love Him (1 Cor. 2:9).
Am I resting in God's power to give me faith and to continue this faith in Jesus forever and ever?

LET IT GROW
  • This final manifestiation of my salvation is ready to be revealed. It is all ready, fully prepared and accomplished, but remains to be unveiled. It is revealed in the last time (kairos in Greek), not an extension of time, but a designated time when it will happen.
  • Who can mind the journey when the road leads home? (words of a song by J.M. Gray) Another song says, "Even though the journey's long and I know the road is hard, the One who's gone before me will help me carry on."(Mountain of God by Third Day)
[Resources: Liberty Bible Commentary, The MacArthur Bible Commentary]

How's your journey going?


LET IT GO

Rely on God's power to keep me going on my journey of life.

Trust Him when the road is hard and long.

Ask God to walk with me.

Remember this life isn't forever, that one is around the next curve.

No comments:

Post a Comment