Monday, June 4, 2012

Sparks of Anger

533.  "Sparks of Anger"                    June 4, 2012
James 5-Part 3
Behold, we count them happy which endure. Ye have heard of the patience of Job, and have seen the end of the Lord: that the Lord is very pitiful and of tender mercy.   James 5:11

As you know, we consider blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of Job's perseverance and have seen what the Lord finally brought about. The Lord is full of compassion and mercy.  NIV

LET IT GLOW


As a child, I liked to have a lit sparkler in the dark, running and twirling it around. It never seemed to last very long, however. Maybe my anger should be that short. Someone does or says something that makes us go off, like a sparkler, in anger. I get defensive and mouth words I regret later. We've all been there. I grumble and complain, either under my breath, or behind their back, or to their face. How should I handle the situation? Take it directly to Jesus. Let the sparks of anger go out.
Do I need encouragment? Do you? Verse 10 tells me to look to the prophets who spoke in the Lord's name as an example of suffering and patience. We count them as blessed those who have endured.  (Holman Christian Standard Bible)

Stop and think about all that some have endured-Abraham, left family and country to follow God, passed the test of faith when he offered Issac on the altar (in his heart). Jacob and all that he went through with his 12 sons; thought his favorite son Joseph was dead. Joseph endured a lot in the foreign land in order to preserve and provide for his family during a time of famine. Elijah and encountered the prophets of Baal, Elisha, Jeremiah endured to stay faithful to God. Samuel and Nathan had to preach what they didn't like. (David endured about 14 years of running away from King Saul remained faithful to God and became king. I could go on, even into the New Testament, where saints, such as Stephen and John, suffered and endured for the cause of Christ.
Hebrews 11 gives us some of those who suffered and endured torture, mockings, scourgings, chains and imprisonment. Verses 1-11 seem to be talking about the test of patient endurance.
Verse 11 reminds us of Job. He patiently endured suffering and was blessed by God for his perserving faith. God had a purpose for the sufferings of all those people, just as He did for Job's.
Job never lost his faith in God (19:25), though he lost property, family, and health, stands out as one of enduring faith. His case not only asserts his patience but demonstrates the purpose and character of his Lord. (Falwell)

Is there anything that cause me to loose my faith in Jesus? If I lost my possessions, my family, or my health, would it cause me to turn from loving, believing in, and serving my Savior?
Why does Jesus permit sufferings? It is because suffering leads to His excellent purposes (Rom. 8:28), Phil. 1:6). Though God is pityful and tender mercy, suffering must be attributed either to the means for God's ulitmate purposes or man's own doing through corrupt leaders or personal sin. (Falwell)

Another encouraging thing mentioned in our key verse is God is very pitiful, which means full of pity, very kind; extremely compassionate; and God has tender mercy, which means merciful, compassionate. (Thayer's Lexicon and Strong's Concordance)

According to Webster's Dictionary, pity means a feeling of compassion for another's grief or suffering; mercy means compassionate leniency toward an enemy or wrongdoer; discretionary power to punish or spare.

How grateful we are for God's pity and mercy toward us sinners! Others Scriptures talking about it are: Ex. 34:6, Numb. 14:18, Ps. 25:6, Ps. 78:38)
In Luke 6:36, Jesus says, Be ye therefore merciful , as your Father also is merciful.

What more can I say, but as a sinner, that can't get it right, I beg for my Father's mercy,which I don't deserve, then am told to show mercy toward others in return. That's how we pay for the mercy we receive, if there is such a thing. Show mercy and forgiveness, compassion toward those who don't deserve it, just like me. Wow!

LET IT GROW

In verse 8, we were told to be patient, stablish our hearts, calling us to a firm courage and commitment to Jesus. Now in verses 8-11, we are told challenged to:
  • Grudge not one against another. Grudge, used here, means to murmur, to groan, to sigh. NAS says, Do not complain, brethren, against one another, that you yourselves may not be judged; behold, the Judge is standing right at the door. How often do I complain about someone's actions or words. I need to stop it, or it will turn into bitterness or hatred, as Swindoll warns. Besides, how can I love and complain at the same time?
  • Look at the prophets for examples of enduring suffering afflictions with patience. We have already covered this, but remember, they did not loose their faith in God, no matter what happened on their journey of life. they continued to praise their God.
  • Count those happy which endured. As we observe others suffering for Christ, and remain happy in their faith, we should urge them to endure, because victory will eventually arrive. (Falwell)
  • As we have heard of the patience of Job and have seen the end of the Lord. What? Telos, in the Greek, may be better rendered "the Lord's goal." Our Lord permits suffering, because it leads to His excellent purposes (Rom. 8:28, Phil. 1:6). (Falwell)
All right, friends, I have some things to work on in my life. How about you?

LET IT GO

Release those angry feelings to God. Let Him change my heart and mind at the cross.

Don't hold grudges; open my hand and heart and release them. Let them go.

Endure everything like Job.

In everything give thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment