Thursday, June 7, 2012

Costly Prayers of Faith

536.  "Costly Prayers of Faith"                   June 7, 2012
James 5-Part 6
Confess your faults one to another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.   James 5:16

LET IT GLOW

For the last three weeks, I have been blackberry picking along my country road. I freeze these wild berries so I can make scrumptous cobblers and lucious jelly from them, which my family dearly loves. With every good thing comes a price to pay, though it seems. So far I have had tick and chiggers bites, which made big red whelps and itched like crazy. Not only that, I got into poison ivy, which bubbles up and itches me. One morning the wind was blowing causing my eyes to water, so I kept rubbing them. What a mistake. Two days later, my left eye lids swelled up and I had to go get a shot. (Now those free and precious berries became costly.) Although I enjoy being outside in the quiet, cool morning, I did pray along the way. I asked the Lord to keep those critters and varments (spiders, wasps, snakes, skunks, and coyotes) away. He so graciously has. (It's in my mind that the devil puts the fear of such things.) Sometimes my other prayers are costly, also. They can cost me time, emotional strain, energy, as well as heart ache. However, there is a reward that James talks about in today's verse. Walk along with me and we'll find out what it is.

First, in the previous two verses, James is talking about the healing of the sick. They should call for the elders to pray and annoint them with oil. This prayer of faith, in verse 15, will deliver results-the sick one will be healed.

Liberty Bible Commentary has this to say:
Nothing about the passage requires instantaneous healing, nor is there any restriction of medical treatment. The presence of sins may be the cause for sickness, but not necessarily. We must reserve judgment for God alone. They shall be forgiven assumes that the one who seeks help from the church also recognizes his personal shortcomings.

So when I am afflicted, sick, corrupted by sin, or have a specific need, I am to pray. (Swindoll)

The second area of the prayer of faith is mentioned in verse 16: The effective prayer of a righteous  man can accomplish much. NAS
The effectual vervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. KJV

Here are some Greek words and meansings that James used: effectual means it is ussed only of things, to dissplaly ones activity (works) inwardly, is solemn and earnest; fervent means zeal, jealousy; prayer (deesis) means specifice prayer based on specific needs. effective (energeo) is where we get our word energy. It has to do with adding an ingredient that turns something average into something fantastic. Confess means to say the same thing; I agree with God against myself.
 
So what does it mean to pray "effectively?" It involves knowing and praying in accordance with Scripture, as well as being specific. I am to deal dirctly with issues I pray about by asking for specific results. I don't require God to meet my deadlines. Faith involves waiting on God's timing without doubting. This energeo prayer embraces an absolute and unshakable faith that God hears and answers prayer. (from Charles Swindoll's book on James)

God does heal and God does answer prayers. Are mine prayers of faith?

LET IT GROW

Lest anyone regard the prayer of faith to be an impulsive expression of desire, James describes its involvment as the effectual fervent prayer, which only has one adjective in Greek, not two.
Falwell describes it in English as energy, which stress hard labor. If one becomes desperate abaout a critical situation, he will not be satisfied uttering a few pious sentences.

Henry Blackaby, in his devotional book, Experiencing God Day by Day, tells me that if I am a  righteous believer that prays fervently, then my prayers will be effective  and will produce significant results. How can I have a prayer life that accomplishes much?

1. God looks at my righteousness, into my heart, seeing Jesus' blood covering me. (It is His
    righteousness that clothes me because I have none, since I am a sinner.)
2. I am to pray fervently, not giving up easily, but spending time interceeding, crying out to my
    heavenly Father with my whole heart and soul, sometimes with tears.Trust the Holy Spirit to assist
    me with groanings too deep for words (Rom. 8:26).
3. Seek God's leading as I pray for things that align with His purposes and watch Him answer in a
    mighty way. Give God the glory, praise, and thanks.
4. Make sure no obstacles seperate me, God, and others. Confess my sins relevant to others. (Stay
    fessed up with God.) Confession is God's provision to clear obstacles that hinder our relationships
    with God and others. It is a command, given to every Christian. Whenever possible, our confession
    ought to be made directly to those whom our sin has hurt. If we wish to have a powerful prayer life,
    we must regularly confess our sin.

John Gill tells us this prayer is not cold, lukewarm, lifeless, formal, nor done in a customary way, but is daily-constant and continual, without ceasing, prevails and succeeds (1Thess.5:17). God impresses minds of His people with a sense of their wants, puts strength in them to plead with Him and makes intercession for them according to the will of God.

LET IT GO

Confess, confess, confess.

Seek the forgiveness of God and others for my sins.

Pray fervently.

Strive to live a godly life pleasing Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment