Monday, June 25, 2012

We Have Only Just Begun

548.  "We Have Only Just Begun"            June 25, 2012
1 Peter 1-Part 8
Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ.  1 Peter 1:13


LET IT GLOW

One of the songs we had at our wedding, almost 40 years ago, was called We've Only Just Begun. The words say that at that time in our life together, we began, with white lace and promises, a kiss for luck and we were on our way. We had so much of life ahead. We shared things new to us, watched the signs along the way, talked things over, just the two of us, working together day to day. We started out walking and learned to run. There were so many roads to choose. Yes, we had only just begun our life together. With Jesus walking with us, it's been quite a journey.
God's grace has only just begun to show us the riches of His grace when we get to heaven. In heaven, it will seem as if my life has only just begun.

Grace isn't only in my past, when I gave my life to Jesus, nor only for the present, where I stand living each moment standing in His grace (Rom. 5:2), but it is also for the future. This grace is unmerited favor, which I don't deserve. I've been walking in His grace 42 years, for which I am so very grateful.
How about you?

Living the way God wants me to live means I must:

Grace is God stooping to save and bless, the source of all those bright and holy gifts which come from His infinite heart. (Meyer)

Marvelous grace!

LET IT GROW

Living the way God wants me to live, I must:
  • gird up the loins of my mind; Biblical customs had men wearing long garments, so when they prepared to go on a journey, to run a race, to serve another, to get ready for a battle, they gathered the robe up, perhaps with a belt, so it would not hinder them. they tied up their loose flowing robe in the process of getting ready for hard work. This was referred to as girding up their loins. We say roll up your sleeves. I'm a traveler on a spiritual journey heading toward my home in heaven. Peter tells me to get prepared by pulling in all the loose ends of my thinking. Stay focused on Jesus and not hindered by sinful thoughts. Bible study and prayer are ways I can do this, also. Reject the hinderances of this world and focus on the future grace of God.
  •  be sober; not only in eating and drinking, but I am to be spiritually sober-minded, which includes the ideas of steadfastness, self-control, clarity of mind, and moral deciveness. I am in charge of my priorities and not intoxicated with the allurements of this world when I am sober-minded.
  • hope to the end; it means a confident attitude of expectation toward grace; watchful. I am to be perfectly awake, trusting with a perfect confidence in Jesus, with lively hope, without hypocricy, and full of assurance (Heb. 6:11). Especially when I am suffering, I should live for the future, anticipating the Second Coming of Christ.
  • live as an obedient child; if I am saved, I am to act like it, making sure there is a difference in my present actions and former actions. Be a new person in Christ. Obey God's Word.
  • be holy; in my conduct, walk, and life, I am to conduct myself in a manner that glorifies God. I am called to be holy (verse 15), into His light (2:9), to suffer and follow Christ's example of meekness (2:21), to inherit a blessing (3:9), to His eternal glory (5:10). To be holy, I need to realize that I am called to be set apart from the world. God called us before we called on Him for salvation. It is all wholly of grace.
LET IT GO

 Keep my mind in tuned to the Holy Spirit.

Control my thoughts.

Hope in Christ.

Obey God's Word.

Walk and live in a holy manner.

Be set apart, different from the unsaved.

No comments:

Post a Comment