Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Ready for the Test?

       
540. "Ready for the Test?"  June 13, 2012 
Summary of James-Part 2   

LET IT GLOW


How are your test taking skills? How are mine? I remember studying late at night before tests in high school and college. The I was tired and not fresh in my thinking.  Evaluation time is here. Am I ready for the test on what I have learned from James? Oh, my! Maybe I had better study some more first. Probably there is no choice, no time to cram for the test ahead. Either the test is coming soon, or I'm taking a test now, or I've finished a test. That's life, friends. God is good all the time, and faithful, too.


Here are the rest of the commands, ideas that James gives by chapters:

James 4
  • Do not think the Scripture speaks to no purpose.
  • Submit therefore to God.
  • Resist the devil.
  • Draw near to God.
  • Cleanse your hands.
  • Purify your hearts.
  • Be miserable [in looking at your sins].
  • Let your laughter be turned into mourning, and your joy to gloom.
  • Humble yourselves in the presence of God.
  • Do not speak against one another.
  • Come now and do not say, "Today or tomorrow" we shall do such and such.
  • You ought to say, "If the Lord wills."
James 5
  • You rich, howl for your miseries that are coming upon you.
  • Behold, the pay you withheld from the laborers...
  • Be patient until the coming of the Lord.
  • Be patient, strengthen your hearts.
  • Do not complain against each other.
  • Count those blessed who endure.
  • Do not swear, either by heaven or by earth.
  • Let your yes be yes, and your no, no.
  • Let him pray who is suffering.
  • Let him who is cheerful sing praises.
  • Let the sick call for the elders.
  • Let the elders pray over the sick, anointing him with oil.
  • Confess your sins to one another.
  • Let him know that he who turns back a sinner will save his soul from death.
(Chapters 1-3 are seen on previous lesson.)
[Resources: James & First and Second Peter by William Baker]

In Psalm 24:3-4, David asked,Who may ascend into the hill of the Lord? Or who may stand in His holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who has not lifted up his soul to an idol, nor sworn deceitfully.

LET IT GROW

James gives a series of tests by which the genuineness of a person's faith  may be measured.
We see the test of:
  • perseverance in suffering (1:2-12)
  • blame in temptation (1:13-18)
  • response to the Word (1:19-27)
  • impartial love (2:1-13)
  • righteous works (2:14-26)
  • the tongue (3:1-12)
  • humble wisdom (3:13-18)
  • worldly indulgence (4:1-12)
  • dependence (4:13-17)
  • patient endurance (5:1-11)
  • truthfulness (5:12)
  • prayerfulness (5:13-18)
  • true faith (5:19-20).
[Resource: The MacArthur Bible Commentary]

How do I endure suffering, trials, troubles, tests? Do I overcome temptations, or do they overcome me ? Am I a doer of the Word or just a hearer only? Am I impartial? Do others see my faith by my works? Am I known for being swift to hear, slow to speak, and slow to anger? Humility/pride, worldly/spiritual, dependent/independent, patient/impatient, prayerful/not pray- which are the qualities I have?

By faith, Linda...

LET IT GO

Keep on keepin' on.

Never give up.

Stand up for Jesus.

Smile though my heart is breaking.

Love in spite of it all.

Forgive so I can be forgiven.

Grow faith in Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment