Thursday, June 21, 2012

Long Distance Love

546. "Long Distance Love"                June 21, 2012
1 Peter 1-Part 6
Whom (Jesus Christ) having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory: Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls.   1 Peter 1:8-9
LET IT GLOW

Most commentaries put verses 8 and 9 together with verses 6 and 7. I can greatly rejoice for a season while I go through a trial, testing, trouble because it is for my good and His glory. I have something to learn from this problem. Does it turn me toward Jesus or away from Him? Does it strengthen my faith as I trust Jesus to get me through it or deliver me from it?
Matthew Henry's Commentary says, "The faith of good people is tried, that they themselves may have the comfort of it, God the glory of it, and others the benefit of it. Tried faith is much more precious than tried gold."
Are my afflictions and sorrows benefiting others, showing them that God is faithful through it all and can be trusted in everything? Am I glorifying Him inspite of a trying time? Do I find comfort and peace in my Savior or do I turn to something else for it?
The trial of my faith is more precious than gold, and we know that is valuable in our society.
A trial is an experiment or search made upon a man, by some afflliction, to prove the value and strength of his faith. (Matthew Henry)
One day, when it's all said and done, and Jesus reigns, we will see our faith end in sight.
Am I seeing my faith strengthened or weakened? Jesus prayed for Peter's faith not to fail (Luke 22:32) because Satan was sifting him. Although Peter denied Christ three times, after it was all done, Peter still loved Him and served his Savior. Weren't three thousand saved at Pentecost after his preaching, even though he failed earlier? If the Lord can forgive Peter and use him again, He can do the same for me.

"Little faith will take your soul to heaven, but great faith will bring heaven to your soul," Charles Spurgeon used to say.
Does my faith produce a strong love for Jesus and joy inexpressible, a joy that can't be described in words? Habakkuk 3:18 says Yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation.

Our God is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all we ask or think. (Eph. 3:14-21)
Nothing can seperate from the love of God. (Rom. 8:39)
His love is unending and unfailing.

LET IT GROW

Peter has reassured me that I have eternal live, a living hope, a home in heaven all because of the salvation Jesus Christ has provided for me.
Because this hope exists, I:
  • love Jesus, whom I have not seen (but feel His Holy Spirit living in me); Peter had seen Jesus, but these believers and receipents of this letter, as well as you and me, had/have not seen Him;
  • believe in Jesus, although I have never seen Him in bodily form (I believe His Word is true and He lived on earth); faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the Word of God;  
  • rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory (to think the God of all creation would love me enough to die for me a sinner). 
Believers have a relation with their Lord Jesus even though He is not visibly present. Love can exist even under such conditions. I love my daughter and her family even though they live in another state and are not visibly seen by me right now. I love Mom and Dad even though they are currently in heaven. I don't have to see people and Jesus in order to love them, and neither do you. I call it long distance love.

Love and faith go together. when you love someone, you trust them. Faith and love together help to strengthen hope. We find confidence for the future. Faith means surrendering all to God and obeying His Word in spite of circumstances and consequences. (Wiersbe)


The New Living Translation says it this way: You love Him even though you have never seen Him. Though you do not see him now, you trust Him; and you rejoice with a glorious, inexpressible joy. The reward for trusting Him will be the salvation of your souls.
Am I loving, believing and trusting, and rejoicing in Jesus with my whole heart? With everything I am? Is my joy so deep and wonderful that I can't express it?

LET IT GO

Have faith that is more precious than gold.

Let Jesus give me joy indescribable.

Keep trusting Jesus today.

No comments:

Post a Comment