Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Variegated Yarn and Trials

544.  "Variegated Yarn and Trials"             June 19, 2012
1Peter 1-Part 4
Wherein ye greatly rejoice, though now for a season, if need be, ye are in heaviness through manifold temptations:   1 Peter 1:6


LET IT GLOW


Rejoice. Greatly rejoice. "Be exceedingly glad, exuberantly jubiliant," John MacArthur said. But he doesn't know my circumstances, what I'm going through right now. True, but God does. MacArthur goes on to say, "This kind of joy is not based on changing, temporal circumstances, but is used of joy that come from the unchanging, eternal relationship with God."

Rejoice refers to the emotion of joy, which has to do with pleasure, delight, satisfaction. (Webster's Dictionary) I like to say that word exuberantly; I like the way it rolls off my tongue.

Am I rejoicing in the day which the Lord has made for me to live? I think it's more than thanking Him for normal things surrounding me. I am to be glad, exceedingly glad, jubiliant, exuberantly jubiliant. rejoice, greatly rejoice.
What do I have that will make me that way?
  • the assurance of my protected eternal inheritance (verses 4-5),
  • the assurance of my proven faith (verse 7),
  • a lively hope (verse 3),
  • His abundant mercy (verse 3),
  • a kept salvation by the All-powerful God (verse 5)
  • new birth,
  • a wonderful home in heaven.
Now those are reason to be exuberantly jubiliant!

LET IT GROW

 Temptations means trials, a proving; manifold means various, of divers colors, variegated; of divers sorts. (Thayer's Lexicon)

Years ago I decided to crochet me an afghan to use as a coverlet while watching television. I chose a varieged yarn which matched our sofa, a burgundy. So I would sit there working with yarn and a needle, just crocheting away for weeks at a time. When it finally reached a desirable length, I ended the work. (That's when I saw that I should have counted my stiches on every row because the width was varied.) That's all right, I'm the only one who uses it. I learned my lesson, though. I have since crocheted baby afghans and watched the number of stitches. I used variegated pastel colors. Mistakes are less visible. Our trials are like the variegated yarn, in that they are different. Peter talks about trials.

These Christian believers, to whom Peter is writing, were suffering all kinds of persecutions under Nero. However, in our age, we, too suffer trials.

All  God plans and performs here is preparation for what He has in store for us in heaven. He is preparing us for the life ans service yet to come. Nobody yet knows all that is in store for us in heaven, but this we do know: Life today is a school in which God trains us for our future ministry in eternity. this explains the presence of trials in our lives: They are some of God's tools and textbooks in the school of Christian experience. (Be Hopeful by Warren Wiersbe)

Various trials, according to these verses:
  • do not last (little while, a season), [God's eyes are on the clock and His hand is on the thermostat.]
  • serve a purpose (if need be), [Trust God to know and do what is best.]
  • bring distress (grieved), heaviness means "to experience grief or pain." [Expect difficulties in life.]
  • come in various forms, [variegated trials]
  • should not diminish the Christian's joy. [Don't let trials spoil your day; smile]
How am I going to react when a trial comes? Get ready friends, they are down the road. I see the dust coming.

LET IT GO

Greatly rejoice in my salvation!

Be exceedingly glad during a trial, for it can't take away my hope in Jesus.

React with exuberantly jubilant joy.

(As soon as I get rid of this gnat I'll rejoice.) Oops, I'm to rejoice during it's agrivation, and not wait until I kill it. At least it didn't fly up in my nose! [Trials come in all sizes.]

Have a terrific Tuesday ya'll!

No comments:

Post a Comment