Monday, November 15, 2010

Whose Slave am I?

Romans 6
Well then, should we keep on sinning so that God can show us more and more of his wonderful grace? O course not! Since we have died to sin, how can we continue to live in it?
Romans 6:1-2 NLT


LET IT GLOW

Even though I am a free American, I can still be enslaved. What can enslave me? A job, materialism, people, attitudes, feelings, thoughts, habits can enslave me. The question is,"Do I want to continue to be enslaved?"
No, I want to be free from the wages of sin.
An example of this is when I used to drink Dr. Pepper three or four times a day, using it as a comfort food helping me relax. I was enslaved to it. I thought I needed it in order to relax, but in fact I didn't. The result, or wages of my sin,  was hurting my colon (Crohn's Disease). It's been 11 months since I drank a Dr. Pepper and I enjoy the benefits with the Lord's help.(Even though I'm free from it, mentally I still want one.)
* This is not meant to make you feel guilty for drinking sodas. You may not be effected by it.

According to verse 3-4, I died (old self), was buried, and raised up with Christ and should walk in newness of life. Although the wages of sin is death, the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. (verse 23) I'm going to enjoy my gift now and in heaven, since my eternal spiritual life  began at my spiritual birth.

Charles Swindoll says that when I disobey the Lord, I don't loose my salvatioin, but I sever my fellowship with Him. The loss is joy, peace, blessings, spiritual growth, and clear conscience. I can avoid this loss by choosing to obey God and rebuking Satan, self, and my sin-nature.

LET IT GROW

Romans 6:13 KJV states,"Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin; but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God."

Here's NLT version of verses 12-14: "Do not let sin control the way you live; do not give in to sinful desires. Do not let any part of your body become an instrument of evil to serve sin. Instead, give yourselves completely to God, for you were dead, but now you have new life. Sin is no longer your master, for you no longer live under the requirements of the law. Instead, you live under the freedom of God's grace."

Swindoll tells us to "start living in a manner that manifests your right standing before God. Be Christlike in what you think, say, and do. Righteous living is not an option for a Christian. It is an obligation, mandatory for every child of God. Now that we are free to live righteously, we must allow the Holy Spirit to produce in us a holy, sanctified life (1 John 3:7)."

That's a tall grain of mustard to hoe.
I'm living under grace, but it  doesn't give me a license to plan and commit sins. I'm learning God's way of doing things.
My will dies and God's will lives in me. I must allow the Holy Spirit to direct me.
I have to bury my old self and stop letting her rise up to sin. Now that's a new concept for me to apply.


LET IT GO

Don't be a slave to sin, but a slave to righteousness.

Enjoy my eternal life now.

Be Christlike in what I think, say, and do.

No comments:

Post a Comment