Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Am I Full?

Romans 15
Am I myself also am persuaded of you, my brethren, that ye also are full of goodness, filled with all knowledge, able also to admonish one another.  Romans 15:14


LET IT GLOW

Am I full? Boy, am I full! Still I am full, two days after Thanksgiving dinner. Now that's talking turkey and the trimmings. What about spiritually? Paul tells us some things to be full of. Let's see what they are.

Paul is talking to the Christians at the church in Rome, but also to us. He says they are:
1. Full of Goodness-characterized by moral excellence in their lifestyles, yielding to the Holy Spirit's
                                sanctifying work in their lives.
2. Filled with all Knowledge-faithful in executing the truth they had received. They applied what they knew
                                            about Chrisitanity instead of letting it collect dust in their minds and on their
                                            notepads.
3. Admonished one Another-Admonish means "placing something in the mind." The person is led away from
                                            a false way through warning, instruction, reminding, teaching, and encouraging
                                            and his conduct is to be corrected. They were to lovingly confront those in their
                                            midst who were veering off the right path. Proverbs 27:6 says,"Faithful are the
                                            woulnds of a friend, but deceitful are the kisses of an enemy."
(Resource: Charles Swindoll's book Relating to Others in Love)

What am I supposed to be full of ? It's goodness, moral excellence; knowledge, applying what I know;
admonishment, warning others. I got to get busy. How about you? If the Romans could do it, I can do it.


LET IT GROW

KJV of verse 5 states: "Now the God of patience and consolation grant you to be likeminded one toward another, according to Christ Jesus." Verse 7 says,"Wherefore receive ye one another, as Christ also received us to the glory of God."

Rick Warren wrote in The Purpose Driven Life:
"Christianity is not a religion or a philosophy, but a relationship and a lifestyle. The core of that lifestyle is thinking of others, as Jesus did, instead of ourselves. Thinking of others is the heart of Christlikeness and the best evidence of spiritual growth. We are to accepting each other, thus glorifying God.

We bring God glory by loving other believers. How does Paul tell us to treat others?
  • By pleasing them (verse 2)
  • Being like minded (verse 5)
  • By accepting (verse 7)"
So I can't be full of myself and doing those things.  I see, Lord-when I please others, I please You; when I am in unity with others, I'm in unity with You; when I am accepting others, I'm accepted by You. Got it.
Now to apply.

LET IT GO

Be full of goodness, knowlege, and admonition.

Strive to please others, yet not compromising the Word.

Work toward unity.

Accept others.

No comments:

Post a Comment