Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Redeeming Stamps

"Redeeming Stamps"

Romans 3
Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus. Romans 3:24


LET IT GLOW

I remember redeeming Green Stamps. Do you? (I know, it tells my age.) For you younger folks, let me explain.  Particular stores would give stamps to you when a purchase was made. As I recall, a particular amount of purchase meant a particular number of stamps received. It was an advertising gimmic. We took them home, licked and placed them in a special booklet. When enough Green Stamp booklets were filled, I then took it to the Green Stamp redeeming store and exchanged for a particular item. (I think I got baby items.)
Jesus redeemed us by paying the price for our sins, purchasing our soul which deserved hell.

Charles Swindoll says in his book, Coming to Terms with Sin:
It's a gift of grace. The English translation says 'justified as a gift" while the original Greek text literally reads "justified without a cause" or "without a payment." In other words, there is nothing in us or anything we can do that would make us deserving of being saved. God declares us righteous when we have nothing but the sewage of sin to offer Him. Why is He so good to us? Simply because He loves us. Just because He chose to.
The word redemption  means "to purchase release by the payment of a price." It was often used to refer to the Roman slave market where the slave was bought by the highest bidder. Our Heavenly Father entered the slave market of sin to purchase our freedom with His Son's own blood. Because of His act of unmerited grace, we can be set free from sin and enter into His service. All we need to do is accept the price He paid by trusting in Jesus Christ.

Where would I be if Jesus had not redeemed my soul? Where would I be heading? We know without asking, don't we?


LET IT GROW

Paul is quoting Psalm 14:1 when he says in verses 10 and 12 "There is none righteous, no, not one" and "There is none that doeth good, no, not one."
Then in verse 23 Paul says,"For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God."
Now that we've read how lower than snakes sinners we are, may I say there is hope. The only solution to my sin and your sin is Jesus Christ. Like Swindoll, it does give me a greater appreciation for God's amazing grace.

Paul sure did tell it straight, without any sugar coating, didn't he? I wonder how the religious Jews reacted.
These are Scriptures we can use to help the lost realize their need for Jesus. Mine are highlighted in pink in my Bible. They are also good to remind me how blessed I am to have Jesus.

LET IT GO

Thank You Lord Jesus for my pardon of sin, which is free to me, but not to You.

Thank You for Your mercy, forgiveness, grace, love.

Help me to pass on this free gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment