Monday, November 29, 2010

Considering my Neighbor

Romans 14
Yes, each of us will give a personal account to God. So let's stop condemning each other. Decide instead to live in such a way that you will not cause another believer to stumble and fall.
Romans 14:12-13  NLT


LET IT GLOW

Who are my neighbors?  My neighbors are those who live along my country road. But  more than that, they are those in whom I come in contact with during each day. What does Paul and the Lord have to say to me in this chapter concerning my neighbor? How do I apply these key verses?


Jerry Falwell states in Liberty Bible Commentary:
We must interact with others in a method pleasing to the Lord and not in judging the strong or demeaning the weak. Even though our liberty in Christ may permit us to engage in a certain activity, we nevertheless may not be wise in doing so. Believers must not insist on their liberty in the presence of those whose conscience would be offended. To do so is not to walk in love under the lordship of Christ.

Charles Swindoll said, in his book Relating to Others in Love:
"We can successfully traverse the tightrope of liberty when we seek a proper balance between self-control and a love for others.
In verse 13b, Paul urges Christians not to turn their "freedom into an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another."

Even though I am free in Christ, I still must consider my brothers and sisters and not cause them to stumble spiritually and fall into sin. So I need to watch my words and actions making them Christ-like, for I represent Him. Consider my neighbor.


LET IT GROW

Verses 17-19, NLT, state: "For the Kingdom of God is not a matter of what we eat or drink, but of living a life of goodness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. If you serve Christ with this attitude, you will please God, and others will approve of you, too. So, then, let us aim for harmony in the church and try to build each other up."

Concerning these verses, Falwell says," The kingdom of God does not consist in observing or not observing days, eating or not eating meats, or any other secondary issues of religious scruples, but in righteousness
(perfect uprightness in our daily walk), peace (with God and brethren), joy (perfect union and intimate love through the Holy Spirit) . The basis of fellowship isn't peripheral matters of eating or drinking but the salvation which both enjoy in Christ."

In Paul's day, the controversy of Christians was over the views about diet and days. Was it right or wrong to eat meat offered to idols and observe to special days?
Today, our decisons are made concerning drinking alcohol, doing drugs, listening to music, watching movies, dancing, smoking tobacco, playing cards, wearing cosmetics, buying cars, homes, translations of the Bible, etc. "Do I?"  or "Do I not?", that's the question.
Paul's focus was on serving Christ and others, preaching and teaching the Word. So I need to watch my focus, keeping it on the Word of God, loving my Savior and others.

Henry Blackaby says in his devotional book, Experiencing God Day-By-Day, "A mark of spiritual maturity is a willingness to sacrifice personal comfort in order to strengthen other believers. Paul urges Christians to pursue only activites that promote peace and behavior that builds up others. It involves using all the resources God has given us to ensure growth and peace in the life of a fellow Christian. For Paul, choosing to edify Christians meant refraining from any activity that caused others to stumble."


LET IT GO

Make sure my freedom in Christ does not cause others to stumble and fall into sin.

Base my decisions for participating in activities on pleasing God and not myself, seeking the Holy Spirit's leading.

Encourage others, not judge them.

Love my neighbors more.

Coat my words with love.

No comments:

Post a Comment