Tuesday, November 9, 2010

A Change of Heart

Romans 2
A true Jew is one whose heart is right with God. And true circumcision is not merely obeying the letter of the law, rather, it is a change of heart produced by God's Spirit. And a person with a changed heart seeks (receives)  praise from God, not from people.
Romans 2:29

LET IT GLOW

The Jews were proud of being born a Jew, God's chosen people and having God's laws and their ceremonies. He is quite blunt, telling them that they say one thing and do another. Paul describes a "true" Jew as a person whose heart is right with God. This heart is a "changed" heart, which is produced by God's Spirit. Do I have a changed heart, one that is right with God? I see this as a daily thing because I sin daily. I need His forgiveness and cleansing all the time and not just on Sundays. Are you in the same boat with me?


LET IT GROW

In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.
Romans 2:16
For there is no respect of persons with God.  Romans 2:11
(God) Who will render to every man according to his deeds. Romans 2:6

Oooh, I say,"Lord have mercy on me a sinner."

The following is taken from Charles Swindoll's book Coming to Terms with Sin:
What is the deadlinest sin? It's the sin of self-righteousness. It goes under other names, like arrogance, hypocrisy, conceit, and pride. Jesus told us, "Do not judge lest you be judged." (Matt. 7:1-5) The Greek term for judge means "to pass unfavorable criticism about someone to someone else." It conveys the idea of making a rash, unfair, and inappropriate judgment on a person without knowing or caring about the facts, unjust criticism.

I have to stop and confess. Yesterday, while in a grocery store, there was an obese woman riding on a motorized  shopping buggy. I thought to myself,"Why is she so fat? Why doesn't she do something about her condition?" Now I see how I judged the woman-unfairly without knowing the facts (maybe she had a physical problem or disease), rash and unfavorably criticizing. Actually, what I was doing was comparing her fatness to my not so fatness. Of course, I came out looking better. This was sin and I confessed it to the Lord. I plan to do better next time, pray for the person instead of criticizing.

Jesus tells us to stop judging others; get the log, plank, beam, sticking out of our own eye before jumping all over another who has tiny slivers, specks in theirs. (Matt. 7)

Paul begins by specifying two characteristic acts of the self-righteous:
1. they pass judgment on others
2. they commit the same sins that they condemn others for doing.

Why do we act that way? It's due to stubbornness, an unrepentant heart, selfish ambition, or disobedience toward the truth. The unsaved person will experience the wrath of God, while the saved person will experience God's discipline.

What do we do? Swindoll says there are two responses:  I will treat others as they treat me or I will accept others regardless of how they treat me. Luke 6:31, 35-37 tells us to love our enemies, do good, be merciful, don't judge nor condemn, pardon.

What else can be said? These were Jesus' words.

LET IT GO

Recognize what types of things cause me to be most judgmental.

Be more accepting of others.

Use Scriptures to help me.

Mostly, stop judging others and look inwardly.

Ask God to change my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment