Wednesday, November 17, 2010

More than Conquerors

Romans 8
Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us. Romans 8:37


LET IT GLOW

As a child, we all probably called out for help from our daddy. I  recall any specific incident whenever I did.  My older sibblings got into a fight, physically, and I ran out to the chicken house calling out for my dad to help. Of course he came. (My dad was a farmer who worked at home, so he was always around some where if I needed him.)

When in times of trouble, do I cry out, "Father, help me?" As God's adopted child, I have that right.
Do I use it?

Verses 15-16 , NAS, state,"For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons by which we cry out, 'Abba! Father!' The Spirit Himself bears witness with or spirit that we are children of God."
We are heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ. (verse 17)

In Liberty Bible Commentary, Jerry Falwell says:

"In the first century A.D. the adopted son was one who was deliberately chosen to perpetuate the name of his father and inherit his estate. He was not at all inferior to a son born after the course of nature. The word abba is an Aramaic word which was never used by the Jews in addressing God. But when the Holy Spirit dwells within us, our relationship to God the Father is such that we may address Him as freely as we would our own father."


LET IT GROW


Who or what can seperate us from God's love? Can anything? Do we allow trouble, calamity, persecution, hunger, destitution, danger, or threats to seperate us? (verses 35-39)
The answer is NOTHING. Nothing can seperate us from God's love; Paul is convinced. "Not death nor life, angels nor demons, our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow-not even the powers of hell,  in the sky above or in the earth below. Nothing in all creation will ever be able to seperate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord." (verse 39 NLT) What a promise!

Christ has conquered death for me. Will I allow Him to conquer my life too? My flesh, sin, and the devil are trying to conquer me, but will I let them? Verse 37 says we are more than conquerors.
"In the midst of sufferings, illness, and afflictions we have God's presence. In the Greek, more than conquerors means super-conquerors. How can we be a super-conqueror? Through Him that loved us. All we have, we owe to Him," Falwell tells us.

There are a lot of golden nuggets in this chapter. Another one highlighted in my Bible are verses 26-27.
The Holy Spirit interceeds for us when our prayers are only groanings and not words. He knows our heart in those times. He interceeds for the saints according to the will of God. This is reassuring in that when I ask selfishly for something, He interceeds there.

Another thing important is that we have hope. Hope that is seen is not hope. (verse 24) Most of the time my hopes require waiting, which is hard to do.

"It is God who works all things out according to His will," Falwell states.
For whom does He work them out, but for a specific group-the called according to His purpose, those saved.

Last, Oswald Chambers in My Utmost for His Highest Journal says: 
The circumstances of a saint's life are ordained of God. All your circumstances are in the hand of God, therefore never think it strange concerning the circumstances you are in. He engineers our circumstances."

Henry Blackaby says,"Don't ever judge God's love based on your circumstances. Instead, evaluate your circumstances from the perspective of God's love. Watch to see how God expresses His love in each circumstance."


LET IT GO

Cry out to my Heavenly Father, especially  when I need His help.

Act like a child of God.

Remember that nothing can seperate me from God's love.

With Christ working in me, I can be a super-conqueror.

Hope and keep hoping.

Believe that God has my circumstances in His control; trust Him  to work them for my good.

No comments:

Post a Comment