Monday, November 8, 2010

Blessings

Romans 1
For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it it written, The just shall live by faith.  Romans 1:17

Introduction to the Epistle to the Romans

Paul, the author of this Epistle, dictated to his secretary named Tertius, the contents of Romans, while on his third missionary journey in Corinth in 57 A.D.

Paul had never been to Rome when he wrote this letter to the saints, believers. (1:7) My conclusion after research, is that the Jews from Rome were in Jerusalem in A.D. 33 at the birth of the church
(Day of Pentecost) according to Acts 2:10. They carried back a report of the events, new faith, and Peter's preaching. A nucleus of Christians could have formed this church in Rome.

This Epistle turned many leaders of our Christian faith to faith in Jesus as Savior when they read or heard Romans-Augustine, Luther, Calvin, Wesley.

The theme is stated in 1:17,"The just (righteous) shall live by faith."
The epistle may be divided into two main sections: Part 1-Doctrinal (chapters 1-11) and Part 2-Practical (chapters 12-16).
The main theme in part 1 is the plan of salvation-justification by faith and sanctification through the Holy Spirit.
The main theme in part 2 is mainly exhortations concerning Christian duties, civic and social.
Both were written to inform the judgement and reform the life.
(References: Matthew Henry's Commentary, Nelson's Illustrated Bible Handbook, Liberty Bible Commentary)


LET IT GLOW

While visiting our grandchildren (ages 2-7) last week, we took them shopping, letting them pick out their Christmas gifts from us. We spent hours walking in the toy store, well maybe not hours, but it seemed like it from our perspective. Each of the four children was given the same amount to spend. With their mother's help, the choices were made. I enjoyed watching each child excitedly wondering the isles, looking intensely at the items within the price range. They spent the rest of the week playing with their choices and their sibblings'
choices. It was a blessing to give. In the giving, I received a blessing of joy in return.

Romans 1:11 says, "For I long to see you in order that I may impart some spiritual gift to you, that you may be established." (NAS)

In their devotional book, Exericing God Day-By-Day, the Blackabys say:
Your life affects those you have contact with, whether you intend it or not. It may be a positive experience for them or a negative one, but your life will affect others. Paul wanted to leave a spiritual blessing with other believers. He heard of the Christians in Rome, and he longed to go to them to build them up in their faith.
We have opportunities to strengthen our parents, our children, our friends, our coworkers, and our fellow Christians. Only when we are determined to focus on giving a blessing rather than receiving a blessing will we have the quality of ministry to others that God gave to Paul. Do you usually look at others in terms of what they can do for you or in terms of how you can encourage them? Are others strengthened and encouraged in their faith because of their relationship with you?


LET IT GROW

Paul tells us that he was not ashamed of the gospel. According to Matthew Henry, Paul  could have been, since a man hanged on a tree, professors were mean and despised, the doctrine was plain. Henry states,"I reckon him a Christian indeed that is neither ashamed of the gospel nor a shame to it."

It is God's power which provided salvation for each of us. God requires righteousness in order to stand before Him, but I don't have it on my own. The only way I can be righteous is receive it as a gift from God when I believed in Christ as my Savior. (Christ was born of a virgin, lived a sinless life, died on the cross in my place, rose from the dead.) It is in Christ's righteousness, holiness, blood, that covers my sins so I can stand before God. Faith in Christ is all we have, which is actually supplied by God.

So I, a just or righteous person only by Christ, am to live by faith.
Hebrews 11:6a says,"Without faith it is impossible to please Him (God).
Am I living by faith in God or am I trusting in myself or other things? That's the bottom line, isn't it?
What is faith? To me, it is believing, not seeing. (Heb.11:1) 
Webster's Dictionary defines faith as believing without proof, especially in God; confidence; reliance.

LET IT GO

As I go about my day, I shall  encourage others in their faith.
Share what blessings God has given me.
Don't be ashamed of the gospel, share it.
Thank the Lord for faith which  He gives to me, then live by faith, not by sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment