Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Getting Dressed

Romans 13
But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof.   Romans 13:14


LET IT GLOW

Before Sunday morning comes, I ususally have in mind what I will wear to church. That makes it faster for me to iron my clothes and get dressed. However, this past Sunday, what I chose didn't look right, so I thought. After I had ironed it and put on the dress, I decided to change. So there I stood at the closet, looking over the choices that were before me. Finally, I grabbed a dress, which I had not worn in a while, ironed it, and put it on. But, with the change of color, that meant changing my jewelry and shoes, too. Gee, there's so much to this "getting dressed" thing for us women. In chapter 13, Paul tells us how to get dressed as a Christian.

In verse 12, Paul says to "cast off the works of darkness, and put on the armor of light." So I am to remove my dark deeds like clothing, listed in verse 13 (wild parties, drunkenness, sexual promiscuity, immoral living, quarreling, jealousy). Then I'm to put on the armor of light. What's the armor of light? It's the armor of God found in Ephesians 6:11-18 ( truth, righteousness, peace, faith, salvation, and the Word of God). (NLT)

Now, in verse 14, Paul says,"But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof."
Charles Swindoll says,"God's people should wear the protective garments of a holy lifestyle, not the fashionable yet destructive clothing of a sinful manner of life. Draw on Jesus' strength; align our thoughts with His mind-set; yield our will to His revealed plan; then we will be beacons in the midst of darkness. "

So I'm not completely dressed until I put on the whole armor of God-belt of truth, body armor of God's righteousness, shoes of peace, shield of faith, helmet of salvation, and sword of the Spirit, which is God's Word. It all protects me from the temptations of the world and strategies of the devil. (NLT)


LET IT GROW

Verse 8: "Owe no man any thing, but to love one another; for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law." Verse 9b: " Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself."
Verse 10:  "Love worketh no ill to his neighbor: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law."

David Guzik says," Some take this command to never borrow, but Jesus permitted borrowing in passages like Matthew 5:41. That isn't the sense of what Paul is saying here. Love your neighbor means to love the people you actually meet with and deal with every day."

Charles Swindoll says, "When a payment is due on a bill, we are told to pay it. When we meet our obligations, the name of Christ will be honored instead of defamed. The only debt we have that can never be fully paid is love for one another." Also, he said,"If we really love someone, we won't take advantage of that person's mate, life, or belongings. Instead, we will do whatever we can to benefit his or her life to the greatest degree."

Confession time: As I typed this, I found myself saying, "I wish so and so would read and apply these verses
and show  love towards me."  Yes, Lord, forgive me for not loving these people like You want me to love them, unconditionally.  If love is to begin with me, so be it. Fill me with Your Spirit of love.

1 Corinthians 14:1 says," Let love be your highest goal." (NLT)

LET IT GO

Get dressed the way God wants me to-clothed in His armor with truth, righteousness, peace, faith, salvation, and His Word.

Pay my bills.

Love my neighbor.

Surrender to God's will.

No comments:

Post a Comment