Wednesday, March 20, 2019

My Masada Fortress

O.T. #1405  "My Masada Fortress"
March 20, 2019
Psalm 144
Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and He in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.  Psalm 144:1-2

LET IT GLOW

Folks, I feel so blessed and humbled as I read the remarks of a commentator. Little did I realize that today's psalm was written in a place I actually saw during my pilgrimage in Israel. (Now, I wondered why we were stopping to look at an ordinary mountain in the desert.) I walked on top of this dry, rocky mountain called Masada. (It is pronounced Musodu, with short vowels.)
Many scholars believe this is were David and his men took refuge on his flight from King Saul at the fortress of Masada. Here is some history of this mountain.

 From the road below, this mountain looked like any other one in the desert area of Israel. It is located about 2 1/2 miles from the Dead Sea's western shore. (Remember that it is 7 times saltier than any other body of water and the lowest place on land.) Rising up 1300 feet above the valley below is this mountain with an extraordinary plateau, flat on top.

We braved the nervousness of going so high up in a cable car with windows as did many other sight-seers. (We did see a few fit people climb up the mountain instead of ride up.)Masada was an unbelievable sight and view of the desert surrounding it. This mountain was truly a fortress for some during the ages and a palace for others. The Byzantine monks and Zealot families had occupied this mountain.
Mostly, it is remembered as an elaborate winter palace of King Herod of Rome. Within it he had an incredible water system, warm-water bathhouses, swim houses, gardens, walls, 10 discovered towers of the 37 towers written about, and gates. There are cave type rooms dug out places within this mountain. Whenever Herod conquered this mountain, the Roman army used catapults to break down the walls so they could conquer it.

What has been dug up there are scrolls of the two final chapters of Deuteronomy and excerpts from Ezekiel's prophecy of the dry bones. Ancient pottery, coins, weapons, and fragments of the Songs of the Sabbath Sacrifices scrolls have also been discovered there. Excavations of the wings of the Western Palace of Herod's royal palace revealed mosaics on the walls and floor still evident.
I hope you can get a picture of the incredible sights we experienced while up on top of this hidden place in Jewish history.

What is incredible is the particular word David used the Hebrew word metsudah, which is translated hold. (1 Samuel 24:22 and 1 Chronicles 12:8) That is why scholars believe David's fortress was this mountain now named Masada.


LET IT GROW

Getting back to David, we realize that he did not have this elaborate place to hide out from Saul as Herod made it a thousand years later.

What is David declaring the God of Israel is to him?
  • strength, which means a cliff, a rock, a bolder, a rock; (verse 1)
  • trains his hands for war and gives his fingers skill for battle;
  • goodness, refers to kindness, mercy;(verse 2)
  • fortress, a fort, strong place, stronghold;
  • high tower, a cliff, inaccessible place, fort;
  • deliverer, an escape, to slip out, carry away safe;
  • shield, refers to protector, defense;
  • The One in whom David put his trust. (verse 2
Reading these first few verses, do we understand that God wants to be those things to us, also. When the evil one tempts us, are we making God our shield, strength? When evil attacks us, is God our high tower and fortress making us inaccessible to the devil?

As Masada became a stronghold for kings and the ordinary folks, God wants to be our stronghold, too. Will we run to Him in our time of need?

LET IT GO

Thank You Jesus for being my Masada.
Truly, You have been my physical and spiritual strength all these years.
You are my fortress and high tower.

No comments:

Post a Comment