Oct. 13, 2016
2 Kings 12
LET IT GLOW
So many times people grow up attending church services, then they drop out as they get older, and God is no longer an important part of their life. They receive warnings, but is anyone listening? Our faithful young king, Joash, does not listen to the warnings in today's lesson.
*Thank you dear ones for faithfully joining me in studying God's Word. What an encouragement to know you are there with me and we can listen to God's instructions together.
At age 7, Joash became king over Judah. He reigned in Jerusalem 40 years. All his life Joash did what was pleasing in the LORD's sight because Jehoiada the priest instructed him. However, he did not destroy the pagan shrines, and the people still offered sacrifices and burned incense there.
Young King Joash was willing to follow Priest Jehoiada as his spiritual mentor. The house of the Lord had deteriorated during the previous reign of Athaliah, a Baal worshiper. So the king implemented a finance program:
- The offering money was collected and the priests took some of it to pay for the repairs needed at the Temple, yet after 23 years, it was not completed.
- Evidently, that money was used to provide for the priests instead of repairs. There wasn't extra.
- Joash confronted the priest about this.
- So the priests agreed to not accept any more money from the people and agreed to let others be responsible for repairing the Temple.
- The high priest, Jehoiada,made an offering box at the bronze altar at the gate of the house of the Lord.
- With this, the people responded so well that they had enough money to complete the work. The Temple was restored.
Are we honest and trustworthy people? Do others trust us? Do we have a proven record?
LET IT GROW
Sounds like everything is going good in Judah. The priests were given money from the offerings (guilt and sin) for their needs, according to verse 16.
Well, Jehoiada lived to a very old age of 130. Then things changed:
- Leaders in Judah persuaded Joash to abandon the Temple of the LORD, the God of their ancestors, and they worshiped Asherah poles and idols instead! (verse 17) REALY?!
- Because of this sin, divine anger fell on Judah and Jerusalem.
- The Lord sent prophets to bring them back and warn them, but still the people would not listen.
- Zecharaiah, son of Jehoiada the priest, announced what the Spirit of God said, ...You have abandoned the LORD, and now He has abandoned you!
- Kin Joash had Zechariah stoned to death in the courtyard of the LORD's Temple. That is how Joash repaid Jehoiada for his loyalty-by killing his son. How pathetic!!
- Zechariah said, "May the LORD see what they are doing and avenge my death!" So it will be, brother.
This shows how people can be faithful to God for a while, then turn away. Folks, let us be found faithful to the end of our life. God is faithful to us.
LET IT GO
Daily study God's Word and pray.
Be trustworthy and honest.
Love God with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength.
Rose Update: She was scheduled to leave the hospital Thursday, but the port was not put in, so hopefully Friday. I ask for prayer as they travel home for 2 days.