Monday, December 3, 2012

Do we Have Anything in Common?

652.  "Do we Have Anything in Common? "
December 3, 2012
Jude 3
Beloved, while I was making every effort to write you about our common salvation, I felt the necessity to write to you appealing that you contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints. NAS

LET IT GLOW

I was a stranger is a strange land.
My mission trip to the Dominican Republic  made such a lasting impression on my life. Did I have anything in common with these people? Our language, lifestyle, and worship were very different. Even though I could only understand a few Spanish words, I felt like I had a lot in common with the Christians in the churches where we attended worship services and fellowships. It was the love of our Savior and the Holy spirit that bound us together as brothers and sisters in the faith. Perhaps Jude felt the same way.

What did Jude and his readers have in common?
  • salvation
  • faith
  • sainthood as believers in Jesus Christ.
Do I allow the love of Jesus to be a common bond with others? Do you and I have anything in common?

LET IT GROW

What is Jude wanting his readers to do?
He wants them to (earnestly in KJV) contend for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints.

What does that long sentence mean?
In his study guide, New Testament Postcards, Charles Swindoll says:
The theme of this letter is found in the admonition to "contend earnestly for the faith." The Greek word for "contend" is epagonizesthai. It means "to fight" or "to struggle" intensely. We get our word agonize from it. the picture is one of a wrestling match with a formidable opponent in an ancient gymnasium, thick and humid with the smell of sweat.
 
Furthermore, Swindoll says for us to not let someone take away the nucleus of our faith without a struggle. It's worth fighting for, so don't be afraid to get on the canvas and wrestle for it.
If my focus is on comfortable pews and thermostat settings, am I really going to want to break into a sweat and "contend earnestly for the faith?"

"The faith" is the body of truth contained in the Scriptures, which effects our lifestyle. It is firmly structured around the good news delivered once at the cross-and for all. The faith is not delivered to a privileged few on God's list, but is given to the "saints."

Jude wrote this urgent imperative for Christians to wage war against error in all forms and to fight strenuously for the truth, like a soldier who has been entrusted with a sacred task of guarding a holy treasure. Scripture is complete, sufficient, and finished; therefore it is fixed for all time. Nothing is to be added to the body of the inspired Word because nothing else is needed.  (MacArthur Bible Commentary)

 The word all jumped out at me today. Earlier, my attention was brought to 2 Corinthians 9:8, And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work. (NIV)

What word is used four times in that one verse? All is used.
God's grace is all grace for me, in all things, at all times, so I have all that I need to share with others.

Now, that's the kind of grace I want. How about you? Am I contending, fighting for the faith?

LET IT GO

Let love, faith, and salvation be a common bond with fellow Christians.

Allow God's grace to be all-sufficient for me.

Stand up for Jesus.


No comments:

Post a Comment