Thursday, December 6, 2012

Angels

655.  "Angels"        December 6, 2012
Jude 6-Part 5
And the angels who did not keep their positions of authority but abandoned their own home-these he has kept in darkness, bound with everlasting chains for judgment on the great Day. NIV

LET IT GLOW

As I think about angels, there were several active around Jesus' birth-Mary before conception, Joseph in a dream, Zacharias before John was born. Angels are messengers of God. Our key verse mentions angels, but not in a good way. Let's look further.

In this verse, we read of the second example of apostasy to which Jude refers. It is  the apostasy of fallen angels that is described in Genesis 6:1-3.
These angels broke rank and stepped lustfully beyond their prescribed abode to cohabit with human women. (Swindoll)

2 Peter 2:4 says, For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment.

The false teachers who are exploiting Peter's Christian readers will certainly be punished in the day of judgment by our Righteous God. (Falwell)

God punished me who sinned and angels who, before defecting, once sang His praises.

If I am not careful, I can be deep in sin within a moment.


LET IT GROW

What is verse 6 warning me?
  • First, I should stand firm, keeping my position next to Christ.
  • Fight this spiritual battle with God's armor found in Ephesians 6-helmet of salvation, breastplate of righteousness, belt of truth, shoes of peace, sword of the Word, shield of faith, all of which are provided by Him.
  • Don't abandon my home. Stay where God put me and leave only whenever He directs. Stay in the church, in the family, in the neighborhood where He wants His light to shine through me.
  • Continue in the light of Jesus.
  • Be free from the chain of sin by confessing.
LET IT GO

Beware of false teachings and teachers.

Stay in the Word of God.

Remain where God has put me. Be His light shining wherever I go.

Thank Jesus for coming into the world, suffering so much, in order to provide my salvation.

Sing His praises!

No comments:

Post a Comment