Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Whose Baby is Crying?

2 Timothy 2-Part 9
Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.  2 Timothy 2:19


LET IT GLOW

I recall both times that I was in the hospital after having my two babies, I could recognize the distinct cry of both of them. It was different from all the other babies in the hospital nursery. Probably all mothers are like that-they can tell whose baby is crying. I think that the Lord knows the distinct cry of each of His children, don't you?

In Thayer's Lexicon, the word knoweth means to know his character, person, mind, plans.

Does this mean that God knows everything about me? Yes, even before time began. He knows the decisions I will make in certain situations. He knows what I'm thinking, too.


Verse 19 states: The Lord knoweth them that are his. He sure does and how glad I am. Since He refers to His children as His sheep, Jesus said in  John 10:27-28 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish neither shall any, man pluck them out of my hand.

Jesus said in John 10:14: I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine.

Paul said in Romans 8:29: For whom he did foreknow, he also did  predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

1 Corinthians 8:3 states: But if any man love God, the same is known of him.

Swindoll's New Testament Insights on 1 & 2 Timothy, Titus shares this:
Paul drew on the familiar imagery of a building cornerstone bearing an official seal. A seal carved into the stone protected the building against intrusion or destruction. The seal on the foundation of truth bears two inscriptions. These two statements, brandished on the foundation of the church, speak to the issure of identity from different perspectives:
1. The Lord knows those who are His.
    The true church consists of those who belong to the Lord Jesus Christ. They are the elect (Matt. 24:31,
    Rom. 8:33, Col. 3:12, 2 Tim. 2:10), those who have believed in Jesus Christ by placing their trust in Him
    as their sole hope of heaven (John 3:16; 11:25-26). No one has to declare to the Lord, "I am Yours; don't
    overlook me!" He cannot be fooled by hypocrisy, and failure cannot render His own unrecognizable.
    Whereas no one on earth can determine who is saved and who is lost-at least not for certain-God alone
    knows for certain.

Sweet friend, are you one of His sheep?


LET IT GROW

Continuing with what Swindoll was saying:
2. Everyone who names the name of the Lord is to abstain from wickedness.
    The true church is filled with those who doggedly reject sin. They are not sinless; in fact, many are terribly
    flawed. But they hate their sin, and they devote themselves to living above and beyond the pull of
    wrongdoing. While God knows His own, believers should identify themselves to others through
    obedience. Those who claim to be God's own, yet continue to walk in sin, bring shame on the church and
    promote a toxic faith.

"How comforting it is to know that we may tremble on the Rock, but it never trembles under us! All the changes, shifts, and doubts have not in any way affected the foundation beneath us. We stand, by faith, on the solid rock!" Swindoll wrote.

If someone doesn't have the desire or the actions to depart from iniquity, isn't it fair to ask if they really belong to the Lord, or if they are just deceiving themselves?
God has given us a solid foundation-His Word, which never changes. God has a plan, a purpose, and a stategy that isn't going to fail. It doesn't matter how many fall away, how many reject the truth, how many go their own way. His solid foundation stands.
[Reference: David Guzik's Commentaries on the Bible]


LET IT GO
Act like I'm a child of God.

Strive to stay away from sin.

Repent when I sin.

Stand firm on the Firm Foundation.

No comments:

Post a Comment