Tuesday, October 4, 2011

If Only

2 Timothy-1: Part 3                                                                         
 I thank God, whom I serve with a clear conscience the way my forefathers did, as I constantly remember you in my prayers night and day, longing to see you, even as I recall your tears, so that I may be filled with joy.   2 Timothy 1:3-4


LET IT GLOW

If only I hadn't thought that...
If only I hadn't said that. ..
If only I hadn't done that...
If only I hadn't gone there...
If only.
If.

We can "what it" it to death, can't we? Haven't we all thought, said, or done something that we regret? Paul didn't seem to have any regrets of his decisions. At least he didn't mention any in his writings. Someone said, "Let the past be in the past." Make any repairs needed, then go on.

Swindoll's New Testament Insights on 1 & 2 Timothy, Titus says this:
In fact, Paul gives his apprentice a threefold gift of encouragement. Charles Swindoll gives us an outline where Paul lifted himself out of his circumstances to express admiration (while in a dungeon).
     First, he adopts an attitude of gratitude. Gratitude is the first prerequisite of genuine encouragement. It comes from a generous spirit.
     Second, he cultivates a heart of worship. The primary purpose of the priests in the temple was service, which was a form of worship.
     Third, he maintains a clear conscience. Always do what is right and you relieve anxiety. Whenever we violate our conscience, fear of God's wrath starts twisting our perspective and gives Satan the opportunity to drive a wedge between us.

Even though Paul was in prison, he knew he had obeyed the Lord, so his circumstances were perfectly aligned with the Lord's will. It doesn't mean Paul never sinned, but he kept short accounts of wrongdoing. He pormptly repented, learned from his mistakes, and didn't repeat them.

How's my attitude, heart, conscience? Is it an attitude of gratitude? Is it a heart of worship? Is it a clear conscience?


LET IT GROW

How often was Paul praying for Timothy? The answer is night and day. This spiritual leader remembered to pray for his dear friend. Is that encouraging or what? How wonderful it is to have a busy person take your needs before the throne of grace.

Another thing Paul mentions is his longing to see Timothy. He enjoyed Timothy's presence and missed him.
It probably had been a couple of years they were together on Paul's second missionary journey. There are some friends I miss, but miles have seperated us.

Do I pray for my distant friends? Do I pray for those in ministry? How often?


LET IT GO

Be grateful and thankful.

Keep a heart of worship.

Stay confessed up.

Pray day and night for  others.

No comments:

Post a Comment