Monday, October 3, 2011

Do You Need a Refill?

2 Timothy 1-Part 2
To Timothy, my dearly beloved son: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord. 2 Timothy 1:2


LET IT GLOW

Here we have Paul, a prisoner in Rome and facing death (2 Tim. 4:6). (See previous lesson for a description.) Now Paul's missionary team has desolved, except for Luke (2 Tim. 4:11). Small in statue but not small in faith, sitting in shackles and deserted, there's not a trace of self-pity in this letter. Time is precious and Paul knows it.
Paul sent this letter to Timothy by way of Tychicus, who would stay in Ephesus to fill in while Timothy went to visit Paul at Rome. (4:9,12) We don't know for sure if he made it before Paul was beheaded or not. At any rate, Timothy was to take Paul's place and give spiritual leadership to the churches. Let's get a closer look at the Word.

Paul addresses this letter personally and individually to Timothy. He affectionately calls Timothy "my beloved child," a literal translation. The Greek term refers to one's legitimate progeny, offspring. Paul had adopted him as his spiritual son, though Timothy was the son of a Greek father and Jewish mother, Eunice. Although this letter was directed to Timothy, it was also intended to instruct other pastors and ministers of all kinds. (Swindoll)

Am I encouraging those called of God into the ministry? Am I encouraging them, praying for them?


LET IT GROW

Whenever we go out to eat at a restaurant, the waitress returns to our table inquiring if we need a refill on our drink. "At those prices, just bring the whole pitcher of tea," I think but don't say. I like refills during my meal because I don't wait until I have finished eating before I drink my tea. Similiarlly, I am always in need of being filled with God's grace, mercy, and peace. Aren't you?

In Paul's threefold greeting, he sends to Timothy "grace, mercy, and peace" from our Father and Lord. This is the only appearance of these three words in Paul's salutations. Didn't Paul have the right to say, instead, "Pain, mistreatment, and misery accompany me?" After all he had suffered, beatings and mistreatments, and now was experiencing imprisonment for the cause of spreading the gospel of Jesus, we would have understood. But his message wasn't about himself.
"The gospel message is about grace, God's gift to the worthless. It's about mercy, God's ministry to the helpless. It's about peace, God's love for the restless," stated Swindoll's New Testament Insights on 1 & 2 Timothy, Titus.

Aren't we all in need of a refill of grace, mercy, and peace from our heavenly Father? Do I show His grace, mercy to others? Am I living in peace with others?


LET IT GO

Be encouraging to those in the ministry.

Share God's grace, mercy, and peace with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment