Monday, October 24, 2011

Sewing a Straight Seam

2 Timothy 2-Part 7
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.  2 Timothy 2:15


LET IT GLOW

The fifth example Paul used to illlustrate the life of a good minister/Christian is that of a workman.
Immediately Paul tells Timothy to "study."

Liberty Bible Commentary says:
Study, in the Greek is the word spoudazo, is not the normal word you think of as a student, but a word used of a workman meaning "give diligence," "endeavor," or "exert oneself." A workman is to give diligence or endeavor to show himself approved unto God. Approved  means one has been put to the test and measurses up, thus winning the approval of the person testing him. The workman here is one who is handling the Word of God and thus the conclusion of studying.

Am I diligently working so I won't be ashamed when my work is inspected?
Diligence is a noun that refers to constant and persistent attention to one's work; diligent is an adjective.

Am I constantly working for the Lord Jesus in a manner so as to not be ashamed when my life is over?
How diligent am I to study His Word?


LET IT GROW

Before we sewed anything in my first home economics class in high school, we practiced  sewing a straight line on paper. It was meant to help us learn  gain control of the sewing machine. I wanted to be able to sew a straight seam, instead of an uneven or squiggly one. It took me several days of practice before I was able to do it. After all the practice work, I was able to sew on material, making an apron. I still have my green calico apron, the first thing I sewed. I went on to make my own clothes and used that skill for many years.

It certainly takes diligent study of the Word to rightly divide it (orthotomeo in Greek) meaning "to cut a straight course," or "lay out a road," or "correctly interpret." All of the word of God is true. There are no contradictions when rightly laid out. You cannot add to nor take away any of it (Rev. 22:19). Liberty Bible Commentary

Cutting straight can be applied to many different tasks: plowing a straight furrow, cutting a straight board, sewing a straight seam.

Charles Swindoll says that the expression "rightly dividing" is better translated, "practically living out." So Timothy was to handle the word of truth accurately in his conduct. Beware of overweith nutritionists, attorneys serving prison sentences, physicians who chain smoke, bankrupt financial advisors, and preachers who live contrary to the Word of God!


LET IT GO

What do I need to let go of so I can diligently study God's Word?

Apply to my own life what I teach.

Strive to please God.

No comments:

Post a Comment