Wednesday, October 5, 2011

She was Your Grandmother?

2 Timothy 1-Part 4 I remember you genuine faith, for you share the faith that first filled your grandmother Lois and your mother, Eunice. And I know that same faith continues strong in you. This is why I remind you to fan into the flames the spiritual gift God gave you when I laid my hands on you.
2 Timothy 1:5-6


LET IT GLOW

When I get to heaven I'm going to look up my two grandmothers right away. Mom and Dad will introduce me, I'm sure. You see, I never knew either of my grandmas. One died 7 months before I was born and the other died 2 months before my birth. I'm sure they were sweethearts from the stories I heard about them.
Also, I know they loved Jesus. Grandma Mary played the guitar and taught her children songs about Jesus. They even sang on our local radio station.

Now time has moved on and the tables are turned. I am a grandmother to 5 beautiful dear ones. What kind of legacy am I leaving them? Do they hear about Jesus and His faithfulness to me? Do they hear about all the wonderful things He has done in my life? Can they see and feel His unfailing love through me? Will they be proud when someone asks, "Was she your grandmother?"

Originally, the purpose of this blog was to serve a  testimony of Jesus' workings in my life in relation to scripture. However, the Lord has taken it beyond that. I've been digging into the Word and learning for myself.

In verse 5 we hear Paul remembering the unfeigned faith (anhypokritos in Greek), which is unhypocritical faith. Timothy is no fake. His grandmother and mother raised him in the fear and instruction of the Lord (3:15).
"Eunice sang to him the songs of Zion and whispered the prayers of Moses. She instilled in her son the best attributes of Joshua, and David, and the prophets," stated Charles Swindoll.

"When Paul came to Lystra on his first missionary journey, that was probably the occasion for Timothy's conversion. When Paul returned on his second journey, he enlisted Tomothy into Christian service. Paul had watched Timothy's life and service during those years they were together. He was certain that Timothy's faith was genuine," says Wiersbe's book, Be Faithful.

Was Timothy's heritage a great one? He was reared in a godly home, trained by a wonderful apostle, and given marvelous opportunities for serving the Lord, so I would affirm that statement.

Perhaps some day someone will ask one of my grandchildren or yours, "Was she your grandmother?"
Wouldn't it be an honor? Glory goes to the Lord Jesus on high.


LET IT GROW


Look at verse 6. Paul uses the phrase "stir up the gift." Stir up means literally "to keep the fire alive," gift refers to the believer's spiritual gift. The gifts of God are without repentance (Rom. 11:33), but they must be used and exercised (1 Tim. 4:14).

Do I need to ask the Lord to stir up a fire in my heart for using my spiritual gifts? What about my talents?
Has my excitement in using either burned down?


LET IT GO

Pray for my grandchildren.

Be a Lois or Eunice so there will be a Timothy in my family.

Use my spiritual gifts and talents for the glory of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment