Thursday, October 20, 2011

Chained to My Bed

2 Timothy 2-Part 5
Remember that Jesus Christ of the seed of David was raised from the dead according to my gospel: Wherein I suffer trouble, as an evil doer, even unto bonds; but the word of God is not bound. Therefore I endure all things for the elect's sakes, that they may also obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory.   2 Timothy 2:8-10


LET IT GLOW

Oh the long hours in a day, lying in bed or on the couch, day in and day out for 5 months.  My world as a five year old consisted of what books and toys fit on the coffee table in front of me while Mom was at work, Dad was outside working on the farm,  and my two siblings were at school. The instructions of my doctor were "no walking," so I had to be carried to bed and the bathroom. Looking back, I can describe that experience as being "chained to my bed." Oh it wasn't a physical, rattling chain, like Paul had, but my disease of Rheumatic Fever had me in chains, restricted. The reason was so my heart valves would not be damaged by exercise or exertion. For 15 years I took a monthly shot to prevent any infection damaging my heart. I obeyed those instructions and as a result, today I am free from that chain. I only take a cute little pink pill in the shape of a heart, a Beta Blocker. God is merciful!

After saying all of that, I asked myself if I am currently chained to anything? Does some sin, habit, responsibility, or weakness keep me from being free to live for Christ and serving Him as He wants me to do? How about you? Do financial problems, physical limitations, or any relationships hinder you, keeping you in bondage or chained to it?

Paul was chained in a dungeon located in Rome while he wrote this letter to Timothy. This may have occured during the time the Emperor Nero set fire to Rome, blaming the Christians for it. He was very cruel, using Christians as entertainment while wild animals attacked them and the Romans were spectators. My sufferings seems like a small price to pay for being a Christian in comparison to these martyers.

Although he was in bonds, Paul said, "the Word of God is not bound." The Word of God has been burnt, banned, mocked, distorted, and ignored, but It still exists and will stand forever (Isaiah 40:8). Nothing has been able to stop the work of God's Word-no scientists, government, philosophers, religious authorities, nor book burners. (David Guzik)

Paul was freely witnessed for Jesus while in chains. Do I witness while I am free?


LET IT GROW

Jesus Christ was the supreme model of a faithful teacher (Verse 2), soldier (verses 3-4), athlete (verse 5), and farmer (verse 6) that Paul used to illustrate the Christian life. Speaking of His humanity, Jesus was of the lineage of David and rightful heir to the throne of Daivd. He deserved a throne, not a cross. If anyone had a right to cry "injustice" it is He. We are to remember Jesus' death, burial, and resurrection. His body and blood were given in order for us to obtain salvation. (1 Cor. 23:24-25) He was raised from the dead, making Him a living Savior, unique from all other gods that are worshiped.

"The Resurrection of Christ is the central truth of the Christian faith (1 Cor. 3:4,17,19). By it, God affirmed the perfect redemptive work of Jesus Christ (Rom. 1:4)," states Liberty Bible Commentary.

Paul said that he endured all things for the elect's sakes so they could obtain salvation in Christ. Certainly he spoke the truth. How much do I endure so a person will come to know Christ as their Savior? John put it plainly in 1 John 4:20-21: He who loves God must love his brother also.


LET IT GO

Suffer trouble if need be, for the gospel to be spread.

Freely speak about salvation in Christ.

Endure all things so the lost will be saved.

No comments:

Post a Comment