Friday, October 7, 2011

When I'm a Prisoner

2 Timothy 1-Part 9
Be not thou therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me his prisoner: but be thou partaker of the afflictions of the gospel according to the power of God.   2 Timothy 1:8


LET IT GLOW

Although I haven't been in an actual jail or prison, but I have been held in physical captivity by a disease. For 40 years, without knowing what it was, Crohn's disease held me captive. I wasn't free to go canoeing, camping, hiking, or any place where a restroom was not quickly accessible because at anytime I could need one. My activities and places I could go were restricted due to this bondage. The Lord helped me identify this bondage. If I will stick to my diet and not eat fried foods, raw fruits and vegetables, drink soda pop, restrict red meats, then I experience freedom from the captivity of food. It is so wonderful that I can't describe it, only give praise to my Savior!

In order for a person to be a prisoner held captive, do they have to be behind bars? Can't we be walking around free to go anywhere, yet be held captive by something? Aren't there different kinds of prisons? Examples are abuse, drugs, alcohol, sexual sins, homosexuality, dishonesty, bitterness, doubt, food, tv, criticism, discouragement, loneliness, worry, fear, physical, emotional, mental, financial, or spiritual prisons. Certainly these can hold us captive. Is there anything holding you captive?

A prisoner  is bound, in bonds, a captive.

In her book  Breaking Free, Beth Moore defines captivity this way: "A Christian is held captive by anything that hinders the abundant and effective spirit-filled life God planned for her."

Are we aware of a stronghold presently holding us captive? If so, have I agreed with God about and confessed all sin involved?

Isaiah 61:1 NAS says The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me, Because the Lord has anointed me To bring good news to the afflicted; He has sent me to bind up the broken-hearted, To proclaim liberty to captives, And freedom to prisoners.

Ephesians 3:1 says For this cause I Paul, the prisoner of Jesus Christ for you Gentiles.

2 Corinthians 10:3-5 states:  For  though we walk in the flesh we do not war after the flesh (For the 
weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;) Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.

In the same book, Beth gives us ways to deprogram or reprogram ourself:
  1. Recognize the captor (Satan). The imprisoned believer is held captive by controlling thoughts.
  2. Stand in agreement with God. Confession means coming to the point of saying the same thing God says about any specific matter. Agree with God concerning the personal sin involved, your personal stronghold or high place.
  3. Tear down the lies. Satan uses lies and deception. God is greater (1 John 4:4). Stop repeating the sins and lies after confessing them and asking  forgiveness from the Lord Jesus.
  4. Put up the truth. Renew, transform your mind (Rom. 12:2) so we think thoughts of Christ about the situation. 
  5. Bow thought to the truth. Memorize scriptures and take them with you.
No matter what our strongholds have been, God can plant us deeply in His love, grow us by the water of His Word, and call us "oaks of righteousness." (Is. 61:3) We can be called persons of honesty, integrity, and liberation. (Beth Moore)


LET IT GROW

Getting back to verse 8, according to Swindoll's New Testament Insights on 1 & 2 Timothy, Titus, Paul gives Timothy four action steps to strengthening our resolve:  
  1. Do not be ashamed of the testimony of our Lord. Christ's "testimony" includes His teachings, His life, His death on the cross-then considered a shameful, humiliation death-and His resurrection. Paul is writing from a dungeon; Timothy enjoys freedom. Paul faces beheading for the sake of the gospel; Timothy, little more than ridicule.
  2. Do not be ashamed of the people of God. Paul is sitting alone in a prison cell, surrounded by other abandoned souls, because no one except Luke dares to be close to him for fear of arest and persecution.
  3. Be willing to suffer for the sake of the gospel. Paul didn't consider himself a prisoner of Nero. He called himself a prisoner of Christ. So far as Paul was concerned, he remained in a dungeon because the King of kings wanted him there in service to the kingdom of God. He expected persecution (3:12).
  4. Anchor your life in the Lord's sovereign grace (verses 9-11). We like grace so long as it's on our terms-without humility or suffering, in our time and manner of choosing.
If I am in a prison, stonghold, it's of my choosing. He has revealed the name of my captive. Now when I stick to a diet and not eat of the forbidden foods, I am free. He can use me to spread good news to the afflicted, bind up the broken-hearted, proclaim liberty to the captives, freedom to prisoners. Can He use you, too?

LET IT GO


What do I need to let go of and let God have control?

Reach out to the Lord for freedom from any stronghold of Satan or my own doing.

Be willing to suffer for the sake of the gospel.

Anchor my life in the Lord's sovereign grace.

Testify of His power to free a person in captivity.

No comments:

Post a Comment