Monday, October 10, 2011

Plans

2 Timothy 1-Part 7
Who (God) hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began, But is now made manifest by the appearing of our savior Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel.  2 Timothy 1:9-10


LET IT GLOW

I seem to make plans by the month. Mind you, I write down appointments made months ahead of time, but my main focus is on what's happening this month. Sometimes I write a significant time on a bright orange or red note paper and put beside the handle of my refrigerator in order to remember it. Are you with me? Sometimes it's a birthday, a meeting, a doctor or dentist appoint for me or for others. At any rate, you know it's something that I don't want to forget when that bright colored paper appears. Hold on, I'm going to go write the word grace on one of those note pages. Be right back. Now I will remember "God's Grace."

Plans. God planned out everything, before the world began, on the first day of creation found in Genesis 1:1 to the last amen in Revelation 22:21. Now that I think of it, I can trust Him by faith to work ALL things out for my good and His glory (Rom. 8:28). Oh no, hold the phone. I said "I CAN trust Him," didn't I? Shouldn't it be "I am trusting Him" or "I do trust Him?" Yes, I hung myself on my own words.

So Paul's sufferings fell under the authority of God, His plans. How did he do in the area of suffering? Paul didn't complain or give up. No siree, he kept on keepin' on. God's grand plans existed before time and space. They accomplish His purposes, yes, HIS PURPOSES, not mine. So is His plan of salvation-it accomplishes His purpose. It's based on His grace, given to undeserving people, like me and you, who trust in His Son, Jesus Christ.

Charles Swindoll said,"He (God) established His plan, based on grace alone, accomplished by Christ alone, to be received through faith alone. And we have the astonishing privilege of communicating it to the rest of humanity!"

Warren Wiersbe said, "It is His purposes that we are to fulfill, and if these purposes include suffering, then we can accept it by faith and know that God's will is best. This is not fatalism. It is confidence in the wise plan of our gracious heavenly Father."

A promise I found in verse 10 was Jesus abolished death. Abolished means "rendered inoperative." Physical death still exists, but it is no longer a threat or an enemy for Christians (1 Cor. 15:54-55). God chose to make known fully the truth of immortality and eternal life, a reality only partially understood by Old Testament believers. (MacArthur Bible Commentary)

Christ was not only the Destroyer of death (Heb. 2:14-15), but He was also the Revealer of life and immortality. For the most part, the picture was dark. But then Jesus Christ shone His light on death and the grave. Through the gospel, He has given us assurance of eternal life, resurrection, and the hope of heaven.
(Be Faithful by Warren Wiersbe)

Immortality means "incorruptibility," and refers to the resurrection body. The present body is corruptible; it dies and decays. But the glorified body we shall have when we see Christ will not be subject to decay or death (Phil 3:21). In fact, the heavenly inheritance that we hare will be "incorruptible, and undefiled, and [one] that fadeth not away" (1Peter 1:4). (Wiersbe)

Yes! Amen! Glory to God!


LET IT GROW

"God called us with a holy calling," Paul told Timothy and us. Paul put Timothy's calling on the same level as his own. This must have encouraged Timothy. On the Road to Damascus (Acts 9), Jesus met Paul and personally called him into the ministry. Have we had a similar experience?


LET IT GO

Turst God.

Be grateful for God's grace.

Always remember that I'm getting an immortal, incorruptible body one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment