Friday, June 3, 2011

Where is Our Hope?

1 Thessalonians 4-Part 6
But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.   1 Thess. 4:13-14


LET IT GLOW

Have you seen movies that begin with the ending? Then they tell the details that lead up to it. That's what I am doing today. Here is a promise of God for us.
Verse 14 in the NLT says it this way, "For since we believe that Jesus died and was raised to life again, we also believe that when Jesus returns, God will bring back with him the believers who have died."

When I put my trust in Jesus as my Savior, I can rest assured that death will not close the book on my life. Death will result in my resurrection from the grave to everlasting life with Christ. (if I die before His return). What about my body? All this disease, decay, and weaknessess that plague my body will end. My perishable and mortal body will become imperishable and immortal. Nothing will have a grip on me. When Christ returns, He will upgrade all His people to the status of Christlikeness, even in my own body (1 Cor. 15:50-55).

I find comfort in knowing this. How about you?


LET IT GROW

What is the most mentioned event in all of the Scriptures? It is the return of Christ. It's referred to over 300 times in just the New Testament. What was the Lord's final recorded words in the Bible? They were concerning His return (Rev. 22:20). So it has quite an importance and reasurance for us. come on, let's dig in.

There was a problem with the Thessalonians. Some had quit working for Jesus and were waiting for Him to come back. Paul replies to those who had lost loved ones in death since he had left them. They were wondering if their dead friends would miss all the blessings of believers at the Second Coming. Paul wanted to give these misinformed believers hope as they handled their grief.  Now I have a better understanding of this chapter.

First, Paul wasn't insulting them. What he was actually saying was, "I have something I want to tell you." He used the same phrase in Romans 1:13 and 1 Corinthians 10:1. Paul isn't talking about those people who were sleeping, but those who are dead.

Ignorant means not to know and asleep means the dead, according to Thayer's Lexicon.

Next, Paul is using the Greek verb in the present tense, saying, "so that you will not continue to grieve as others do." (those which have no hope.) The word hope is the key here. It refers to a "certain expectation," rather than something one wishes might happen. What is the Christian's hope? It's the resurrection. Also, there is hope that the loved ones who have died will certainly rise. My certainty of the resurrection is based upon the resurrection of my Lord Jesus Christ (1Cor. 15).
Where is your hope? Do you have any hope for eternity?
[Resources: Liberty Bible Commentary, Contagious Christianity by Charles Swindoll]


LET IT GO

My hope is in Christ, His return, and the resurrection of those Christians who have gone on.

No comments:

Post a Comment