Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Piecing Together Puzzles

Introduction to 2 Thessalonians
Grace unto you, and peace, from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. 2 Thess. 1:2


Do you like to put puzzles together? I always have. In fact, during my Christmas vacation from school, as a teenager I would often get a 1,000 piece puzzle, set up the old card table, and spend hours piecing together the puzzle. It occupied my time as I waited for Christmas Day to come. Sometimes my family would join me in the task. This became a tradition in my own family as our children and I were home for two weeks during December. Of course, while we were piecing together the puzzle, we were carried on conversations. What a fun way to occupy time when it's too cold to go outside and to develop relationships.

As I began reading this Second Epistle of Paul to the Thessalonians, it seemed that something was missing between the two letters. Again, I found myself piecing together a puzzle, only it was in the Bible.

Apparently, Paul wrote it only a few months after writing the first epistle, during his eighteen month stay in Corinth.
Why did he write to these Christians again, and so soon?

The answer is found in The MacArthur Bible Commentary. Here's what it says:
Paul wrote to his beloved flock who were:
(1) discouraged by persecution and needed incentive to persevere;
(2) deceived by false teachers who confused them about the Lord's return;
(3) disobendient to divine commands, particularly by refusing to work.

Background:
Paul, Silas, and Timothy were together in Corinth as indicated in Acts 18:5 and verse 1 of the first chapter. However, shortly thereafter, Silas drops out of sight, according to the book of Acts. The date of this letter was A.D. 51 or early A.D. 52, according to Liberty Bible Commentary.
Paul's overriding purpose is to correct the errors as mentioned above. These believers interpreted the coming of the Lord as to an immediate event. They sold their houses and lands, gave up their jobs, and moved to the hilltops in order to wait for Christ's return. This resulted in idleness in the church and was a reproach to Jesus' name. Paul had to give them further instructions on this matter at hand.
As an overview of these 47 verses, the first thing noticed is the phrase  "the Lord Jesus Christ"  is used three times in each chapter. I challenge us to find and count them.

Although this epistle is written to Gentile believers, it is especially helpful to new converts to Christianity. They can get a better understanding of prophecy and the work ethic of serving until the Lord comes. (May I add, us too?)

Are you ready to dig into the Word? Let's get started.


LET IT GLOW

We have already established the author, his accompanying missionary team, and to whom this is written.
I like the way Paul always begins his letters with affirmation, thanksgiving, and praise. I should pick up on that approach and apply it. Maybe it prepares a person for what follows.

In verse 2, Paul is sending grace and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
According to Thayer's Lexicon, in this verse, grace means to be committed or commended to the protecting and helping favor of God. Peace is security, safety, prosperity (because peace and harmony make and keep things safe and prosperous).


LET IT GROW

Who gives us this grace and peace? God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ do.
Do I turn to Him for grace and peace? Do I turn to Him for help, protection, harmony? When I do, the puzzles in life will be put together, won't they?


LET IT GO

Let go of hurt feelings, seek peace with others, by doing my part to mend relationships.

Seek God's grace for myself and others.

No comments:

Post a Comment