Thursday, June 2, 2011

A Quiet Life

1 Thessalonians 4-Part 5
And that ye study to be quiet, and to do your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you; That ye may walk honestly toward them that are without, and that ye may have lack of nothing.     1 Thess. 4:11-12


LET IT GLOW

I enjoy my quiet life at home, on my country road. Oh, I was in the rat race of working with the public for 15 years as a teacher, meeting deadlines, teaching required skills, listening to criticism, etc. During that time I had to be assertive, speaking loudly, stern, staying focused on tasks, disciplining children. Been there, done that.
Now I get to spend my mornings studying God's Word and writing lessons, singing His praises, listening to His Spirit. Yes, it is a quiet life. I play with my preschooler granddaughter in the mud and running around outside three days a week. Oh, I still get out two days a week to do bookkeeping at our business. Wouldn't trade my life now for the way it was for anything. It is a blessing from the Lord. Shall we look closer at what Paul said in these two verses?

Thayer's Dictionary says that the word study means to be eager or earnest to do something, labor, strive;
while Thayer's Lixicon says quiet means to lead a quiet life; not running hither and thither, but stay at home and mind their business.

Here are some verses concerning a quiet life:
1 Peter 3:4 says this about wives, "But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price."
1 Timothy 2:2b-3 talks about praying for all men and kings, and  "that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty. For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior."

Matthew Henry's Commentary says these things about verse 11:
 It is the most desirable thing to have a calm and quiet temper, and to be of a peaceable and quiet temper, and to be of a peaceable and quiet behavior. We should be ambitious and industrious how to be calm and quiet in our minds, in patience to possess our own souls, and to be quiet towards others; or of a meek and mild, a gentle and peaceable disposition, not given to strife, contention, or division. Satan is very busy to disquiet us; and we have that in our own hearts that disposes us to be disquieeet; therefore let us study to be quiet.

So, I am to be eager, ambitious, and industrious about my housework, Bible study, and baby sitting. Two out of three isn't bad, is it? (Housework, at least I have a house standing, unlike those whose homes were destroyed in the tornadoes this spring.) I really do work on having a gentle and quiet spirit, but sometimes I can't keep this tongue of mine briddled. It can get unrully and like a wild horse. I do want my life to be pleasing and acceptable to God.
If I don't lead a quiet life, how will I hear God speak to me? Am I quiet or my surroundings quiet so I can listen to Him speak to me?


LET IT GROW

Did you notice the second thing Paul said was to mind my own business?
David Guzik said, "We must take our nose out of other people's business before we can concentrate upon our own."
Where is my nose? Is it in my own business, or is it in other people's business. Perhaps that includes limiting my time on Facebook.
Matthew Henry said, "Those who are busy-bodies, meddling in other men's matters, generally have but little quiet in their own minds and cause great disturbances among their neighbors."
Oooooooo. He says it like it is, doesn't he? Lord, I don't want to be one. Help me not.

The third thing Paul says we are to do is to work with our own hands. We are to earn our own bread and have pleasure in doing so. Paul and his missionary team worked whenever possible. He didn't want to be a financial burden for the young churches.

Verse 12 in NLT says it this way, "Then people who are not Christians will respect the way you live, and you will not need to depend on others."

How am I conducting myself when I am around non-Christians?
Colossians 4:5-6 says, "Conduct yourselves with wisdom toward outsiders, making the most of the opportunity. Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned, as it were, with salt, so that you may know how you should respond to each person."

Charles Swindoll said, "Non-Christians are watching and wondering, so conduct yourselves with wisdom. They are listening and learning, so speak your words with grace. They are individuals and important, so respond to them with dignity and sensitivity."

How are you and I walking? Are we acting like a Christian, in Christ likeness?



LET IT GO

Lead a quiet life, attend to my own business, work with my hands, be less dependent on others, watch my words, love the lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment