Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Growing Sunflowers

2 Thessalonians 1-Part 2
We are bound to thank God always for you, brethren, as it is meet, because that your faith groweth exceedingly, and the charity of every one of you all toward each other aboundeth; so that we ourselves glory in you in the churches of God for your persecutions and tribulations that ye endure.    2 Thess. 1:3-4


LET IT GLOW

Verse 3 in NAS begins this way, "We ought always to give thanks to God for you, brethren, as is only fitting..."
As we receive the Grace of God, we should be thankful for it. Not that we deserve this grace, but that it is a gift from God to us who do not deserve it. Paul is thanking God for these Christians growing in faith, love, and patience. So should I.

LET IT GROW

It was only a month ago when my I dug a forrow and my granddaughter dropped the sunflower seeds in it. We covered them up with more dirt, then watered them really well. Waiting for them to pop their heads above ground was very difficult for this three year old. Every day we had to check on them. It took patience. Finally, after a week or so, there they were, tiny green plants looking at the new world. She was so excited. Each morning she sees to it that we faithfully water them. What a joy to see them grow. One is even taller than she is. I know soon these small plants will grow taller than I am and will produce beautiful yellow heads (fruit) shining in the sun. But through this process, these sunflower plants have endured storms-strong winds and heavy rains. Since some bent over and broke, I got some bailing twine and tied the rest together so they would not bend over and break. This helped them stay strong and grow tall. The faith of the Thessalonians was like these sunflower plants. Shall we see how?

Probably Paul had heard from these believers since his sending the former letter. He recognized these qualities:
1. Exceedingly growing faith
    Exceeding means superabundant in quantity or superior in quality.
    Is my faith in Jesus growing? Better yet, is my faith growing exceedingly?

2. Abounding love
    Aboundeth means to increase.
    John Wesley said it was "Like water that overflows its banks, and yet increaseth still." During the floods
    this spring the water overflowed in creek banks as the rains continued to fall  in our area. But, overflowing
    love is a good thing.

3. Endure with patience and faith in all persecutions and tribulations
   Endure means to undergo hardship, be afflicted, suffer trouble.
   Because of their faith in God, profession of Christ, these believers experienced hard times. They stood up
   under criticism and false teachings.
   How much can I endure? Only God knows. I'm supposed to keep on enduring with patience and faith.

As the seeds we planted grew, so my faith grows as the Holy Spirit waters me. Then my love will increase.
Staying in the Word of God and praying will strengthen me to endure hardships as Paul did.


LET IT GO

What do I need to let go of or who do I need to forgive?

Is my faith growing exceedingly, my love abounding or increasing, am I enduring with patience whatever comes my way?

No comments:

Post a Comment