Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Pulling Weeds

2 Thessalonians 1-Part 6
To this end also we pray for you always that our God may count you worthy of your calling, and fulfill every desire for goodness and the work of faith with power.  2 Thess. 1:11


LET IT GLOW


This week I was pulling weeds and tall grass by my mailbox. I only got half of it done when it started to get dark. I planned on finishing the rest of it the following day. However, my hip joint and bottom muscles were so sore from all that bending over, I couldn't do it. (I sure didn't get on the treadmill either.) And two days later, I am still sore. My hubby used to tell me concerning exercise, "No pain, no gain." Well that wasn't meant to be exercise and I definitely didn't want to suffer any pain for my deed. What I want didn't make any difference. At least  I can see the result of my work as I sit on the front porch swing, enjoying a cold glass of water. But that is only a small suffering in comparison to those  persecutions and afflictions which I have endured for the Lord. In my mind, they lasted a lot longer and the hurt was deeper. What does God use to pull the weeds out of my life? Has He been weeding out anything in your life lately?

Do I resolve to do goodness in spite of my circumstances?
Camelot's King Arthur did after he learned that his wife, Guinevere, and his best friend, Sir Lancelot, had an affair. Swindoll quoted the king, "We shall live through this together, Excalibur: They, you and I! And God have mercy on us all." [form Idylls and Camelot by Knee]

Eventually, I'll get back to finish pulling the rest of those weeds by my mailbox. It may be a while. In the meantime, I will survive any sufferings, physically and spiritually. My God is with me.


LET IT GROW


According to Charles Swindoll in his book, Contagious Christianity, Paul prayed for three specific things in this verse for the Thessalonians:
(1) that God may count you worthy of your calling,
    This is reminiscent of verse 5. Paul doesn't ask God to remove the source of their suffering; he asks that
    they might live and act in such a way as to be considered worthy of their high calling-which is "not only to
    believe in Him, but also to suffer for His sake" (Phil. 1:29). Suffering is part of the kingdom life. Read "the
    kingdom" into the situations of others. (These Thessalonians were going through persecution and affliction.)

(2) that He may "fulfill every desire for goodness,"
    The word desire could be be rendered "resolve." This part of the prayer addresses the Thessalonians'
    attitudes in the midst of their suffering. The term goodness is closely akin to "generouity," describing one
    who is openhanded and openhearted. When suffering strikes, it's easy to become clench-fisted and
     resentful, even bitter. However, the Thessalonian believers resolved to emerge from this siege of suffering
     full of goodness, with a generous spirit.

(3) that "the work of faith with power" may be completed.
    This request has to do with the Thessalonians' walk of faith. He prayed that their faith would reach fruition
    in a harvest of good works (1 Thess. 1:3). He now prays that their suffering doesn't impede that work,
    doesn't stop it or cut it short, but rather fulfills it with power.

Paul asks boldly that God see them as worthy of the kingdom's calling. He asks that they realize their resolve to develop the character quality of goodness, and he asks that their walk of faith be strengthened by the hard times they are going through. God wants to deepen our character, to see us through, and to say that the testing did its full work.

Is my pain developing faith?

David Guzik said, "We live worthy of His call when we fulfill all the good pleasure of His goodness, living lives touched by His goodness, and displaying His goodness. We live worthy of His call when we fulfill the work of faith with power, believing on Jesus and seeing His work done all around us by faith."

Do I allow the Holy Spirit to give me power to keep on living by faith?


LET IT GO

Stay faithful to the Lord during problems.

Let my life be pleasing to Him.

Allow His Spirit to empower me for the work of faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment