Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Finding God's Will for my Life

1 Thessalonians 5-Part 6
Rejoice evermore.
Pray without ceasing.
In every thing give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.
Quench not the Spirit.
Despise not prophesyings.
1 Thess. 5:16-20


LET IT GLOW


Before our daughter got married, she and her fiance visited our church. Her dad introduced them to the congregation. Then, he said," Her mother and I always prayed for God's will for her future husband. Will never came along, so we settled for him." Our daughter replied, "Dad, his first name is William." So Dad stood corrected. God's Will came. We chuckle about now and so do others.
"What is God's will for my life?"
How many times have I asked that question? Innumerable. Dare I say that very few Christians have not asked it? Especailly those serious about following God. Have you? Well, here's the answer I found. I know it's a generality, but it's for all believers to follow: Be joyful. Pray continually. Give thanks.
There it is-short and simple. This is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. Yes, I don't know your circumstances, but God does.  I understand that it's hard to rejoice and be thankful for pain and heartache. Still, God is asking us to give thanks.
Do you find it as difficult to pray 3 times a day, much less continually without ceasing, like me? Although, when I'm carrying a heavy burden, loaded down with it, I tend to pray more. Are you with me? Why am I that way? God is sovereign, in control, offering me grace and peace, working it out for my good. Why can't I just let go and trust Him with it? You know why, as well as I do-I WANT CONTROL. There, I admitted it. So I get on my knees and confess these sins, once again; opening my hands toward heaven, releasing this problem to Him. Now I can rejoice, pray, and give thanks. Now I get it.
Friend, I am able to give thanks for my Crohn's Disease; for my special diet and medicines that will be the rest of my life. He answered my prayers-finding what was wrong with my body. So I give Him praise and thanks daily. Do you have a challenge too?

Do you remember Joni Eareckson Tada, the teenager who became a quadraplegic after a swimming accident? Here's what she had to say:
"Today's verse became my anchor when I was first paralyzed. I gritted my teeth, pushed aside feelings of despair, and willfully gave thanks for everything, from the hospital breakfast of cold cornmeal mush to the grueling hours of daily physical therapy. Many months later a miracle occurred. I began to feel thankful. My brighter attitude enabled me to give thanks for greater things. Later on, another miracle happened: I was able to rejoice in suffering."
As a result, Joni has witnessed for Jesus around the world. She is able to relate to those who live in a wheelchair, giving them hope and a purpose as she shares her Savior.

The NIV says these verses this way: Be joyful always, praying continually, give thanks in all circumstances and God will move heaven and earth to push you forward into His will. Whatever happens, whatever you decide, you will have every confidence that you are completely centered in His will for your life.

I want to always be in the center of God's will for my life. How about you?


LET IT GROW

Getting back to yesterday's lesson, which dealt with two of the four gifts we are to give each other: They were kindly requested and urgently needed. (If you missed it, please check it out before continuing.)
MacArthur said joy is appropriate at all times. (Phil. 2:17-18; 3:1; 4:4)
Rejoice means be glad. It appears 9 times in Paul's letter to the Philippians. Evermore means at all times, always, ever. (Thayer's Lexicon)
We are told to pray not repetitiously, with a break (Matt. 6:7-8), but pray persistently (Luke 11:1-13), and pray regularly (Eph. 6:18).

Here are the last two gifts Charles Swindoll teaches us about in his book, Contagious Christianity:

3. Gifts  continually appropriate.
     (1) Rejoice always.
            Rise above your situation. Look beyond petty differences and faults. Don't allow your circumstances
            or the grim responses of others to rob you of a joyful life. Joyful people have a well-develped sense
            of humor, an optismistic outlook on life, and a lighthearted spirit. Does joy permeate your life?
     (2) Pray unceasingly.
            Unceasing prayer will result in a joyful heart. The only way we can have a heart full of joy is to have
            one free of burdens. And the only way to rid ourselves of burdens is to release them. How can we
            best do that? Through prayer. The idea here is not praying nonstop, but the regular releasing
            throughout the day of one's load to God. It's like a hacking cough.
      (3) Give thanks in everything.
             It does not  say for everything give thanks. It would mean we would have to be thankful for such
             things as sin and tragic calamities. Instead, we are exhorted to give thanks in everything. That is, we
             should develop and express a grateful spirit as we are molded toward maturity in God's sovereign
             plan. We may not understand why certain events occur in our lives. However, God causes all things
             to work togther for good (Rom. 8:28).
     (4) Do not quench the Spirit.
            A Christian can diminish or even snuff out the ministry that the Holy Spirit has in his or her life. They
            can hinder the Spirit's work by constantly opposing His prodding, convicting, and puersuading work.
           When He encounters a sinfully stubborn will, He will eventually step away, fold His arms, and wait
            for a change of heart. He will leave us alone. Although, we can experience a softened heart toward
            God, a deeper concern for the lost and hurting, and spiritual power to live a godly lifestyle.
      (5) Do not despise prophetic utterances.
           Make sure it is a true revelation from God and remain sensitive to God's voice. We need to be quick
           to hear and obey God's written Word. Be sensitive to pick up His counsel to us as given through the
           timely words of others.

Do I want to be a contagious encourager?
Whew! There's a lot on my plate to digest.

Hey, did you know there are other meanings of rejoice? Some definitions in the Greek, according to Young's Concordance, are: to leap much for joy, to shine, to laugh, play, to sing or cry aloud, to spring about. I need a cup of joy today,  please Lord. So if you see me playing, laughing, singing, you know why. I'm rejoicing. Don't know if I can leap or spring about, though :)


LET IT GO

What do I need to let go of so I can be an encourager?

Rejoice, pray always, and give thanks.

Listen and obey the Spirit.

Listen to those people who are spiritual. Be discerning.

No comments:

Post a Comment