Monday, June 20, 2011

How am I Walking?

Summary of 1 Thessalonians


I must say, it's been challenging to me to read and study this Epistle by Paul. I have enjoyed having you walk along with me. Paul found encouragement in the Thessalonians and so have I found encouragement in you.

Well, there are some questions for us to ponder as I think back over this Book of the Bible. Here are a few: How am I walking? Am I  pleasing God? Am I walking honestly? Am I walking worthy of God? How is my faith, love, hope, joy? Am I comforting others? Am I rejoicing, praying, thanking God? Am I abtaining from all appearance of evil?

I was looking back at the overview of this letter written by Paul. While traveling on their second missionary journey, Silas and Timothy helped him establish this church (Acts 17:1-9). This was the first of two letters which Paul wrote to the church. It was written from Corinth around A.D.51. There was a temple of Apollos at Delphi, near Corinth. Idol worship was common practice during this time. Some Jews and Hellenistic proselytes were trying to convert these believers in Jesus in this area. That's why Paul was writing this letter, to encourage the church to stay true to Christian teachings, to stay pure in Christian living, and give them hope of Jesus' return. [Resource: The MacArthur Bible Handbook]


Now, if you have been walking along with me on my road of faith through the New Testament for very long, you know that I like to recall a few scriptures in the Book that we just completed. So here are some gold nuggets I have highlighted in my King James Version located in 1 Thessalonians:

 * We give thanks to God always for you all, making mention of you in our prayers; Remembering without
    ceasing your work of faith, and labor of love, and patience of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ, in the sight of
    God and our Father; Knowing, brethren beloved, your election of God. (1:2-4)
*  But as we were allowed of God to be put in trust with the gospel, even so we speak; not as pleasing men,
    but God, which trieth our hearts. (2:4)
*  That ye would walk worthy of God, who hath called you unto his kingdom and glory.  (2:12)
*  And the Lord make you to increase and abound in love one toward another, and toward all men, even as
    we do toward you.  (3:12)
* That no man go beyond and defraud his brother in any matter: because that the Lord is the avenger of all
   such, as we also have forewarned you and testified.  (4:6)
*  And that ye study to be quiet, and to do your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we
    commanded you. That ye may walk honestly toward them that are without, and that ye may have lack of
    nothing.  (4:11-12)
*  For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the
    trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remaing shall be caught
    up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
    (4:16-17)
*  See that none render evil for evil unto any man; but ever follow that which is good, both among
    yourselves, and to all men.  (5:15)
*  Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ
    Jesus concerning you. Quench not the Spirit. Despise not prophesyings. Prove all things; hold fast that
    which is good. Abstain from all appearance of evil.  (5:16-22)
*  Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it.  (5:24)


As I close the study on another Book of the bible, I leave with you the words of Paul, which are in my heart as well:
And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you.

See ya'll  tomorrow as we begin another letter written to the Thessalonians. May Jesus bless and keep you in His love today.

No comments:

Post a Comment