Friday, January 21, 2011

What Time is It?

Galatians 4
But when the right time came, God sent his Son, born of a woman, subject to the law. God sent him to buy freedom for us who were slaves to the law, so that he could adopt us as his very own children. And because we are his children, God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, prompting us to call out, "Abba, Father." Now you are no longer a slave but God's own child. And since you are his child, God has made you his heir.  Galatians 4:4-7  (NLT)

LET IT GLOW

How important is "time" to us? I get up around the same time each day, type these lessons,  get on the treadmill in the morning. I have a schedule for particular days. (Although, I enjoy having a flexible schedule now that I am not teaching.)
When I  held down a fulltime job, I definitely had a schedule to follow. Even after leaving for work, I would plan what I would do whenever returning home-supper, laundry, homework with the kids, time with the husband, a quiet time with the Lord, etc.
What time is it? How many times do you look at the clock during the day? We are so time conscience now days. My conclusion is that  time is important to God.

Did you notice the first phrase "when the right time came?" Other versions say it this way,"when the fullness of time was come" (KJV), "date set, time fixed, right time, completion of the time came."
Verse 2 in KJV uses the phrase "until the time appointed of the faither." Also, "right time" and "proper time" are used.

People have said that time is not significant in heaven. I beg to differ. God has everything planned out that will happen and those that did happen, such as when Jesus was born on earth and His returning. It happened and will happen at  a specific time.

Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 tells us "To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven; a time to be born, and a time to die."

Where does the time go? It seems to march faster each year. Am I accomplishing what God has planned for my life within the time He has alotted me here? What does He want me to do today, tomorrow, this week, next week, etc.?


LET IT GROW

The first six verses in this chapter talk about a child being the heir, but under age to be in charge. The child, a minor, has tutors and guardians to guide him until that time. It was the Roman custom for the son to become a man at age 25. In the Jewish and Greek culture, 13 was the age. The time is set by the father when the son can become the heir and then master of his father's estate.

So it was for us. In the fullness of time, when the time of the Law was fulfilled, Christ was revealed. He submitted Himself under the Law to redeem us who were under the Law. The Law was guardian over us while we were still children. Then salvation in Jesus came. We are considered God's sons and daughters, adopted into God's family because Jesus redeemed us. We are His very own children. (My emphasis)

Now that we are God's child, we can cry "Abba, Father" when we need help from God. (verse 6)
Abba is Aramaic for father. Somehow, it doesn't seem respectful enough for me to call God "Daddy" instead of "Heavenly Father."
There were times when we asked our earthly father for help and he gave it. So will our heavenly Father when we ask Him.
Do I ask for His help, or do I try to work things out by myself? Yep, guilty. Do I tend to only cry out when in a "desperate" situation? Oooh.


LET IT GO

Lord help me to use my time wisely for Your purpose.

Thank You, Abba, Father that You hear my cries unto You.

No comments:

Post a Comment