Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Sufficiency and Strength

2 Corinthians 12
And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.
For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.
And He said unto me, "My grace is sufficient for thee; for my strength is made perfect in weakness." Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.    2 Corinthians 12:7-9


LET IT GLOW


Thorns, no one likes them.
 Last summer I spent several weeks going to the blackberry patch, picking blackberries. It wasn't an easy task, as some of you country folk may well know. Those big, lucious, sweet blackberries grew on  thorny bushes. Now when they are together in a brier patch, it can be quite a challenge to pick the berries. I learned years ago to wear an old, long sleeved shirt for the task because those prickly thorns reached out and grabbed ya, but didn't want to let go. Sometimes the thorns ripped my shirt; sometimes they ripped my skin, making me bleed. When surrounded by those thorny bushes, I often used my bucket as a way out of the mess I was in the middle of. (Please excuse my grammar.) It was a successful technique. Because those blackberries were
wonderful in cobblers or made "out of this world" jelly, I kept going back, enduring the hardships, and picking more berries.
As you well know, life has its lucious berries and prickly thorns. Satan sees to that. How did Paul endure all those hardships just mentioned in the last chapter? He tells us in the key verses.

I found some answers in The New John Gill Exposition of the Entire Bible:

Thorns are not joyous, are grievous to the flesh, come not by chance, but by divine appointment, are designed and made use of, are to hide pride from men, are sometimes by divine permission. Ezekiel 28:13 talks about prickling briers and grieving thorns.


I asked, "How did Paul manage?"
Paul prayed three times for the thorn to be removed, but Jesus answered, "My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness."

"Paul could not remove the affliction that God had given him, an affliction that made him depend on God. God will bring you to the point of weakness if that is what it takes to bring you to trust in Him. Do not despise your weakness, for it leads you to trust in God's strength," states Henry Blackaby in Experiencing God day-By-Day.

Gill says, "God is all sufficient (Shaddai) in Gen. 17:1. Grace of Christ is alone sufficient for all his people, to all saving purposes, in all their times of need. The strength of Christ is made to appear, is illustrated and shines forth in its perfection and glory, in supplying, supporting, and strengthening His people under all their weakness. Paul is content things should be as they were, since he had such a promise of sufficiency of grace to bear him up, under, and through whatever was the pleasure of God concerning him; Satan was not able to make any advantaage over him.

In Mary A. Kassian's book, Knowing God By Name, she says:

Sufficiency means a sufficient amount; large enough supply, plenty, adequate, ample.
Everything that God is, is more than enough. His names of sufficiency reflect the fact that all of us will find everthing we need in Him. He is our all in all.
We will have ALL sufficiency in ALL things at ALL times...all grace.
2 Cor. 9:8 states, "God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that having all sufficiency in all things at all times, you may abound in every good work." (ESV)


Falwell said, "The trial will remain but accompanied always by the enduring grace of God."


So when those prickly thorns come into my life, God's grace is all sufficient, enough for me to handle them.
I, for one, need to be reminded of this from time to time. Grace, grace, God's grace. Grace that is greater than all my sin, as the song goes.
Thank You Lord for Your never ending grace.


LET IT GROW

Verse 10 reads, "Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong."

John Gill said, "All these affliction were so delightful to Paul, having in the midst of them the love of God to comfort him, the power and strength of Christ to support him, and the grace of the Spirit to assist him. He was upheld by the divine arm and strengthened by the power of Christ; he became more than a conqueror.  Paul is weak in himself, strong in Christ."

Matthew Henry stated, "God often brings good out of evil. The thorns Christ wore for us, and with which He was crowned, sanctify and make easy all the thorns in the flesh we may at any time be afflicted with."

There we have it, I am weak, but He is strong. All I have to do is admit that, reach out to Him for it, and receive His strength to endure.


LET IT GO

Seek the God of all-sufficient grace.

Admit my weaknesses and depend upon His strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment