Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Leaving Room

Galatians 1                            
But even before I was born, God chose me and called me by his marvelous grace. Then it pleased him to reveal his Son to me so that I would proclaim the Good News about Jesus to the Gentiles.
Galatians 1:15-16 (NLT)


LET IT GLOW

There have been times when I have saved a seat beside me for a friend or family member at a conference, ballgame, or worship service. I left room for that person and did not occupy the seat because I was expecting them to come. Do I expect God to visit me so I leave room for Him to come into my life as He likes? Hmm.

There was a problem  in the churches located in the Galatian area-a group of legalists had invaded the churches steering Christians away from the Gospel of  Christ and Paul's teachings. In verse 7, Paul says they were "perverting" the Gospel.
"Pervert means to change into an opposite character; to reverse,"  according to Warren Wiersbe in Be Free.
These legalists, called Judaizers, were even attacking the apostleship and conversion of Paul. This is why he is defending himself in the first chapter.

Looking at our key verse, Paul tells us it pleased God, by His grace, to set apart Paul before he was born, choose him and call him to proclaim the Good News of Jesus to the Gentiles (Romans 1:1).

Shepherd's Notes tells us:
Set apart means "to determine beforehand." Paul had in mind something that was even prior to the occasion of his birth-God's eternal predestination and good pleasure by which He chose us in Christ before the creation of the world (Eph. 1:4).


I forget to often thank God  that He chose me to be His child, to save my soul, and has called me to walk by faith, serving Him, teaching His Word. What an honor. Not only has He saved me, but  the Creator of everything decided to create me, which is a miracle in itself. My Dad could have been killed in WWII ten years before I was born. God sustained my life, at age five, when I had a disease called rheumatic fever, which affects the heart. Then 42 years later, God restored my breath and allowed me to live after I stopped breathing following surgery. Yes, I say that I have a lot to be thankful for.

How about you? When was the last time you thanked God for creating you, giving you breath, and saving your soul? There is so much I take for granted. (Oops, I chased that rabbit.)

Do I forget to make room for God to come into my life as He chooses? Do I put limitations or expectations on the methods God uses? I probably do. Why am I surprised when He speaks to me ourside the four walls of the church? All of a sudden God can meet with a life, "When it was the good pleasure of God... ."
I am always telling God how creative He is, concerning things I see.  That should  be extended to when and where His Spirit speaks to me.


LET IT GROW

Verse 20 says, "Now the things which I write unto you, behold, before God, I lie not."

Paul's word was as good as an oath made in the very presence of God.
"Paul's enemies has accused him of being a slick talker," as Jerry Falwell put it.

Paul was telling the truth, not a lie. His life was a witness that he always told the truth and he should not have had to defend himself, but he did.
Am I always telling the truth, or do I have to say when something is not a lie?

LET IT GO

Leave room for God to speak to my heart at any time, any place.

Always tell the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment