Monday, January 3, 2011

Old Versus New

2 Corinthians 5
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.   2 Corinthians 5:17


LET IT GLOW

Happy New Year!

I like new things, don't you? What kind of new things do you like? I like to open a new jar of peanut butter, break the seal, and stick my spoon into the smooth, never used peanut butter. (You thought I was going to say finger, didn't ya?) I like the smell of a new car, which has only been experienced a few times, but I remember it. I like to be the first one to open new packages of items, then be the first one to use it, whatever "it" is. I especially like putting on a new outfit to wear. I makes me feel good. How about you?

Well, this is a new week of a new year. It's always good to reflect on last year-events, decisions, changes, actions, words, activities, exercise program or the lack, diet, etc. Are there things I would like to have done differently? Of course. But they can't be changed, only forgiven. Now is the time to think about new things, especially the heart and attitudes.
What's Paul talking about in our key verse, old and new things?

Matthew Henry's Commentary states:
If any man be a Christian indeed, he must be a new creature. This ought to be the care of all who profess the Christian faith, that they be new creatures; not only that they have a new name, and wear a new livery, (a uniform, especially of a servant) but that they have a new heart and new nature. And so great is the change the grace of God makes in the soul, that, as it follows, old things are passed away-old thoughts, old principles, and old practices, are passed away; and all these things must become new. The new man acts from new principles, by new rules, with new ends, and in new company.

All right then, I see that I need to let old thoughts, such as hurt feelings and words, unforgiveness, anger, stay in the past, under the blood of Jesus. "What's in the past stays in the past," someone once said. Don't carry them into the new year with me. Be motivated by love.

Next, I need some new practices, such as daily Bible reading and prayer time, praise and worship of God, my Savior. (every day, not just when it is convenient)

Get some new rules and principles to live by, which  come from the Word of God. When I find them, I'm supposed to memorize and apply them, not leave them behind in The Good Book. Remember them throughout the day.

New company means watching who I run with, not gossipers, cursers, worldly ones, but make Christian friends my company. "Evil communications corrupt good manners," says 1 Cor. 15:33.

New ends? Maybe that means I should keep my focus on my new residence-heaven, where my Savior resides, and not getting too comfortable here on earth. I tend to forget that I'm on a journey and I'm not home yet.

John Gill tells us to have " new affections, desires, delights, joys. We have new eyes to see with, new ears to hear with, new feet to walk, and new hands to work and act with."
Colossians 3:2 states, "Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth."

So with new eyes I can see the spiritual needs of people; with new ears, I can hear their cry for help when it isn't spoken; with new feet, I walk where Jesus leads; with new hands, I do the work and action for Jesus, not myself.

Blackaby in Experiencing God Day-By-Day says:
Jesus has a wonderful way of restoring us when we fail Him! He does not humiliate us. He does not criticize us. He does not ask us to make a resolution to try harder. Rather, He takes us aside and asks us to reaffirm our love for Him.
As you begin a new year, you may be painfully aware that you have failed your Lord in many ways. Perhaps you were not faithful, disobeyed His Word to you, denied Him by the way you lived. Jesus does not need your resolutions, your recommitments, or your promises to try hareder this year. Jesus asks for your love. If you truly love Him, your service for Him in the new year will be of the quality that He desires.

Wow! This makes a full  backpack  for our walk of life, huh? I need some help carrying mine, tho. I have failed a lot.

Lord, help me to be sensitive to Your Spirit's leading this year. Change my heart and thoughts into ones that honor You. Keep me loving You, obeying Your Word, and loving others. Please forgive me for these sins. Bless my friends as they strive to live for You.
In Jesus name I pray. Amen


LET IT GROW

Did you know you are an ambassador?
Verse 20 says,"Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God."

David Guzik says:
Ambassadors for Christ: Paul sees that he serves in a foreign land as the representative of a king. The King has a message, and Paul is delivering that message as though God were pleading through him.
An ambassador doesn't speak to please his audience, but the King who sent him. He doesn't speak on his own authority; his own opinions or demands mean little. He simply says what he has been commissioned to say. He is more than a messenger; he's a representative, and the honor and reputation of his country are in his hands.

As an ambassador of Christ, what was Paul's message to us? Verse 20 tells us-be reconciled to God.

Webster's Dictionary says reconcil means to restore to fellowship, bring into agreement.

I agree with God that I'm a sinner and in need of His forgiveness. Then I ask Him for that forgiveness in Jesus' name.

Like Paul, we are ambassadors for Christ. Our message is love and forgiveness of our Savior Jesus Christ, sent to proclaim to a lost and dying world.


LET IT GO

What do I need to apply or let go? Change old  attitudes, old words, old actions int new ones.

Speak for Jesus.

Do my best to live a life that represents Him and  that of a Christian.

No comments:

Post a Comment