Thursday, January 20, 2011

Redeemed

Galatians 3
But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.  Galatians 3:11 (KJV)
Now it is clear that no one is justified before God by the law, because "The righteous will live by faith." (Holman Christian Standard Bible)

LET IT GLOW

Paul is quoting Habakkuk 2:4, which is quoted three times in the New Testament-Rom. 1:17; Gal. 3:11, and Heb. 10:38.

According to this chapter, how is Paul saying  I am  supposed to live?
  • by faith (verse 11)
  • believe God (verse 6)
  • as a child of Abraham (verse 7)
  • redeemed from the curse of the law by Christ (verse 13)
  • receive the promise of the Holy Spirit through faith (verse 14)
  • justified by faith (verse 24)
  • as a child of God by faith in Christ Jesus (verse 26)
  • like Abraham's seed (verse 29)
  • an heir according to the promise (verse 29)
Abraham believed God when he was told  he would become the father of many nations and his seed would be as numerous as the sand and stars. This belief was " imputed or accounted to him for righteousness," verse 6 states. As I continue to believe in Jesus as my Savior, my faith justifies me before God. I believe His blood was shed in my place, so I don't have to pay for my sins, Christ already did that. What a Savior!

Joni Eareckson Tada, in her devotional book, Diamonds in the Dust, said," The Law says, do these things and you shall live, but the Gospel says, live and these things you will do. If we are right in our inward being, we shall certainly do right in our outward actions. This is what Christian liberty is all about." (verses 24-25)


LET IT GROW


Have you ever redeemed coupons at the grocery store?  The amount of the coupon I used was subtracted from  my total bill. The company would reimburse the store for that amount. So it was with Christ. When He redeemed me from my sins, I was set free by His paying the price.

Verses 13 and 14 say,"Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree: That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith."

Shepherd's Notes says:
The word redeemed means "to buy off" or "set free by the payment of a price." It was used to describe the purchase of slaves. The root word for redemption in Greek is agora "marketplace," the site of the slave auction where, every day in ancient Rome human beings were put up for sale to the highest bidder. Paul's use of the word redemption declares that we have been bought with a price. The ransom for our sins was nothing less than the life blood of the Son of God. (1 Peter 1:18-19)

The words of this song came to me:
"Redeemed, how I love to proclaim it. Redeemed by the blood of the Lamb. Redeemed through His infinite mercy. His child and forever I am."


LET IT GO

Time for evaluation: Am I living by faith, like a child of God?

Am I showing and telling others that I have been redeemed?

No comments:

Post a Comment