June 12, 2018
Psalm 37-Part 5
Stop being angry! Turn from your rage! Do not lose your temper-it only leads to harm. For the wicked will be destroyed, but those who trust in the LORD will possess the land. Psalm 37:8-9
LET IT GLOW
Hope you had a restful weekend while waiting upon the Lord. I enjoyed a short time with my husband's family as we went down to the river, which has diminished to a small creek. A few of us even waded in to it so as to cool off our feet as temps were in the 90's. Sometimes we need to step back and cool off, especially when anger has gripped our emotions. David learned this. What comes to my mind is the time Abigail's onery husband would not pay David's men for their service of protecting his sheep. David was so angry that he was on his way to attack the man when Abigail, his wife interceded with a meal, a big feast.
In verse 9, David says that those who wait upon the Lord shall inherit the earth. When Christ returns to earth, believers will reign with him for a thousand years. It can't get any better for us, on earth that is. Why does waiting have to be so difficult? I suppose we have become conditioned to a hurry-up world, instant gratification.
LET IT GROW
Cease from anger. That is a hard one. How often do we loose our temper?
Matthew Henry gives us some good pointers on the subject:
- At the first little inkling of envy or discontentment rising up in us.(We need to nip it in the bud.)
- Don't harbor hard thoughts of God and His providence.
- Be not angry at anything God does, but forsake that wrath.
- Do not envy them (evildoers) their prosperity, lest thou be tempted to fall in with them and to take the same evil course that they take to enrich and advance themselves.
- A fretful discontented spirit lies open to many temptations; and those that indulge it are in danger of doing evil.
LET IT GO
Lord Jesus I need Your help cause I have a short fuse when it comes to not getting angry.
Be my defense.
Help to get a grip on envy, jealousy, hurt words, discontentment.