Dec. 15, 2016
1 Chronicles 4
LET IT GLOW
In verses 1-23, we read of other descendants of Judah. This genealogy seems to have fragments and supplements as other branches on Judah's tree. some of the names were actually places.
One relative mentioned is Jebez in verses 9-10. His mother bore him in sorrow; that is why she named him Jabez.
He was more honorable than his brethren. Little do we know about this man, except he was quite a praying person.
This believer in God has his prayer recorded in Scriptures here, in one verse (10):
- Oh, that You would bless me indeed,
- and enlarge my territory, that Your hand would be with me,
- and that You would keep me from evil,
- that I may not cause pain!
Darlene Wilkinson, wife of Bruce, wrote a book The Prayer of Jabez for Women to explain:
- Jabez believed that God's nature was to bless and that God not only could but also wanted to reach down to bless him-and bless him a lot! Your past doesn't have to be a picture of your future! Indeed in the Hebrew language was used like 5 exclamation points or writing it in capital letters and underlining it. God lifted Jabez up out of the ordinary and "granted him what he requested" (1 Chronicles 4:10).
- Bless in the biblical sense means to impart supernatural favor. The Bible doesn't record how god blessed Jabez, just that He granted his request. Ephesians 3:20 tells us He is the only One who is "able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think."
- Jabez left it entirely up to God to decide what shape-how, when, and in what form-His blessing would come. Who knows better what to give us than God?
- God's blessing can be either internal (spiritual or emotional) or external (seen and experienced on the physical level).
- God's blessing can take place in the midst difficulty.
- It is not selfish. Our blessings overflow to others.
LET IT GROW
- Next, Jabez asked God to enlarge his territory.
- He asked more than just acres of dirt and more goats. He wanted more business, more responsibility-to multiply that which God had already given him.
- Your territory begins with the place where you live and work. It include the people you are in a position to impact (family, friends, coworkers, neighbors, strangers ho cross your path).
- Your territory includes your possessions-not only material belongings, but also your unique gifts and talents.
- Territory can be translated coast or borders.
- God will expand your territory right where you stand. The most important territory we are given is our loved ones and our closest friends.
- God will expand our territory by asking you to step up. A new opportunity, a bigger arena may extend from your home to your church and community. Use the lessons you have learned and the talents He has given you.
- God will expand your territory by asking you to step into someone's life. You may momentarily minister to or help a person in some way. You might call these Jabez Appointments.
- Pray for wisdom and ask the Holy spirit to guide you. Bring God honor and glory.
Three more parts of Jabez's prayer are left. Continue with me tomorrow, friends.
LET IT GO
Bless me Lord so I can be a blessing to others.
Enlarge my territory of influence for You.
Use my talents and gifts for Your glory, God.