Monday, December 5, 2016

A New Day

O. T. #881  "A New Day"
Dec. 5, 2016
1 Chronicles Introduction

I woke up at 5 this morning, so I got  up and did my chores. One is cleaning the pellet stove so we have heat. In the meantime, I got my little heater at my feet plugged in. It was freezing outside, with everything looking white with frost. (There is frost out on the pun'kin, someone else's pumpkin, because I don't have one.) :)
It is so beautiful, Lord. You have blessed me with life and breath today, surrounded by Your beauty and Your presence. Yep, it's a new day which You have made for us. I will rejoice and be glad in it.

Folks, just when we thought we were finished with the historical writings on Israel, we find out we are not. Wait. Please continue to walk with me on this journey through the Old Testament, friends. I need some company here. I got my mug of hot peppermint tea and commentaries around me, including my Bible. May I suggest you get a cup of something, too and join me?

Well, shall we take a look at an overview of the first of these two Chronicles?

I.   Genealogies (chapters 1-9)
II.  Saul's Reign (chapter 10)
III. David's Reign (chapters 11-20)

The chronicler was probably the priest/scribe Ezra. (According to Jewish tradition) He either lived during the time of Babylonian captivity, which lasted 70 years or during the exile, writing these two books of history.

It is not just a history of facts and figures, but it is His story, emphasizing God's hand in Israel. (David Jeremiah)

J. Vernon McGee contrasted the two books of Kings and the two books of Chronicles:
  • a palace versus a Temple;
  • political history versus religious history;
  • man's viewpoint versus God's viewpoint.
McGee goes on to describe the Chronicles as an interpretation of Kings, with details and emphasizes on important things of 1 & 2 Samuel and 1 & 2 Kings. 

The MacArthur Bible Handbook informs us:
This history is exclusively about the southern kingdom of Judah instead of Israel, the northern 10 tribes, because of Israel's complete wickedness and false worship. Three basic failures by the kings of Judah brought God's wrath: personal sin, false worship/idolatry, and /or trust in man rather than God.

MacArthur shows us God's character found in 1 Chronicles:
God is:
  • glorious 16:24),
  • holy (16:10),
  • merciful (16:34),
  • powerful (29: 11,12),
  • a promise keeper (17:23,26),
  • provider (29:12),
  • unified (17:20),
  • wise (28:8).
Now set your heart and your soul to seek the LORD your God. (22:19)

These were David's departing words to his son Solomon, Israel's new king. He was relaying what should be the most important thing is Solomon's life and the way to begin his kingship.

Do we seek the Lord the first thing in our new morning of the day?
Will we make today better than yesterday?
Is our relationship with God top of our priorities?

Can we say to our Lord Jesus that we will deliberately set our heart today to seek Him, serve Him, follow Him, please Him?

Joy to the world, the Lord Jesus has come!!!

Holy Father, You are glorious, merciful and powerful, unified, and wise. You are my promise keeper.
You are my Provider. Thank You for loving us so much that You became a man to show us that love by dying on the cross so we can live eternally with You.

Have a blessed day, y'all.













No comments:

Post a Comment