Thursday, April 12, 2012

Yellowed with Age

Hebrews 13-Part 3
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and today, and for ever.  Hebrews 13:8

LET IT GLOW

I have an old Webster's Dictionary that I use quite frequently. It sits on my bookshelf in two parts, with tattered pages, which are beginning to yellow. I don't even know how old it is because the cover and front pages are missing. Oh, I have newer dictionaries that I could use, including the internet ones, but this old faithful one is just fine. It has the old words. Some things that are yellowed with age are still usable, such as Mom's old cookbooks, the deed to our farm. I find comfort in knowing that some things don't change. Our key verse tells us that Jesus Christ is one of them. Let's look a little closer.

The word same means immutable, which means unchangeable.

Unlike the weather, seasons, and people, there are some things which do not change. God's truths do not change. The Trinity, God the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit do not change. God is not proone to change; He is constantly the same. My problem in understanding this is that I haven't known such a person. God is not fickle; His moods don't swing, and His dealings with us are not subject to cancellation or redefinition. (Swindoll)

I am secure in knowing that God's love, faithfulness, mercy, grace, peace, patience, goodness, gentleness, kindness, laws, promises, judgements, and plans don't change. His character has been the same since before the creation of the world. He is the same person as in ancient days, Old Testament times, during His walk on earth, New Testament times, and modern times, today. Jesus is my prophet, priest, and King as He was back then.


Joni Eareckson Tada, in her devotional book, Diamond in the Dust, told what her friend Francie's
Grandma  Grace wrote in her worn Bible saying:
"There 's nothing old or worn out about the love of God. His love has not yellowed with age. It is neither fragile nor ragged at the edges. God's love is as current now as it was a century ago, as fresh today as it will be tomorrow. Today, praise the Lord that He is the same, always loving, always merciful, and that with Him there is no shadow of turning."

Joni goes on to pray,"Jesus, I'm amazed that You never change. You are always faithful. Your promises are time-tested. Together with the saints of the ages, including Grandma Grace...I praise You!"

Do I completely trust Jesus, who is the same always, immutable person, Savior?


LET IT GROW

Verse 7 tells us that as Christians, we are to show our faith by:
  • remembering our leaders, (spiritual fathers who were dead/martyred) who led properly,
  • recalling those who spoke the Word of God to us, (led us to Christ as Savior),
  • consider the outcome of their way of life, (godly character), the right outcome,
  • imitate their faith, (follow their example).
Consider means to look upon a subject to investigate and observe it accurately. I am to study the life of individuals, pastors, teachers, parents, and even biblical ones. Are they having a godly influence on me?

Charles Swindoll gives us three lasting principles as guidelines for me:
  1. It is unbiblical to support wrong leadership, no matter how sincere it may appear.
  2. It is unwise to claim no leadership, no matter how comfortable it may feel.
  3. It is unprofitable to resist right leadershiop, no matter how painful it may be.
Spiritual leaders are unlike domestic, business, or professional leaders in that they look over the souls of their constituents. They carry a burden for their people. They're concerned whether or not those under their leadership are growing and having their souls adequately nurtured in faith.

Do I daily pray for my spiritual leaders?

LET IT GO

Thank Jesus for remaining the same, unchangeable, immutable Savior He always was, is, and will be.

Pray, encourage, and show respect for the spiritual leaders that God has placed over me.

No comments:

Post a Comment