Friday, April 27, 2012

Sailboats

507.  " Sailboats"                           April 27, 2012
James 1-Part 3
 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed. For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord. A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.   James 1:5-8

LET IT GLOW

How's it going friends? I'm so glad you are walking with me along this country road of faith today. Some of you have been with me for a while now. You are blessing my heart in your faithfulness. Others are newcomers-welcome. I feel like we can sit down on my front porch this morning and share a glass of iced tea, troubles, trials, and temptations in our lives. I just wanted to say thank you for your love that travels through these wires of modern technology.
Friends, how is your joy doing in the midst of problems? We all have problems because that is life. I have already learned, after only studying 4 verses in James, that as a Christian, I am to have joy in the midst of trials. I suppose that is possible because I am supposed to have it before that trial comes. Hmm. Yes, Lord.
Another thing I have learned is that faith is tested through trials, not produced by trials. So I am to already have the faith ahead of the trial. How is the testing of your faith going? Are you still trusting Jesus?

Several times I have been to the oceans' front and watched sailboats on the water.  It is amazing to me how they can go sailing across the water so effortlessly. The wind is the source of its power. Without a rudder,though, it would go wherever the wind sends it. I don't want to be like that kind of sailboat, tossed around, moved up and down by the waves of troubles. Come to think about it, I don't have to be like it because all I need do is ask God for wisdom as to what to do in my trial. There's more to learn, friends.

Joy, faith, patience. Oh you how I need it all!  In other words, keep on keepin' on, friends. Don't let trials discourage you. Our God is still on His throne, in control. Enough review, I'm ready for some good food for my soul today. How about you?
Verse 5 says that if I lack wisdom, boy do I, all I need to do is ask God for some. After all, He is the only wise God and is available to us through Jesus.
Wisdom is the knowledge and practice of the requisites for godly and upright living. (Thayer's Lexicon)
Knowledge is raw information, but wisdom knows how to use it. (Guzik)
Knowledge is the ability to take things apart, but wisdom is the ability to put things together. (Unknown)
What does wisdom have to do with enduring trials? It may refer to some solution or answer to the trial, or it may pertain to the wisdom to trust God. Job had no solutions or explanations regarding his trial. Instead, God taught him why it was wise to trust Him without knowing why his suffering was taking place. God will help the individual know what course of action is the most "trusting."
(William Baker)

Back to verse 5, God gives to me wisdom, when I ask for it. How? He gives it liberally and upbraideth not. According to Thayer's Lexicon, liberally means simply, openly, frankly, sincerely (led solely by His desire to bless); upbraideth means cast (favors received) in one's teeth.
Young's Concordance says upbraideth means reproach, revile. Webster's Dictionary says upbraideth means blame, rebuke.
Wow! God is ready to pour out wisdom upon me, since He doesn't look down on me for asking for wisdom in how to handle this problem or trial. He doesn't rebuke me for not being able to handle it myself. I need God's help and wisdom concerning this matter. (I think that is the way He wants it.)

God is the giver of all things, in nature, providence, and grace. He isn't prejudice about to whom He gives wisdom, but He gives it to rich and poor, high and low, more and less sinners. He gives widsom readily, freely, cheerfully, abundantly. (Gill)

God has wisdom in abundance (Rom. 11:33) available for those who seek it. (MacArthur)
Charles Swindoll, in his Bible Study guide, James, Practical and Authentic Living says:
All of us knows what it's like to flunk a trial. We remember the wrong responses-resistant attitudes, temper tantrums demanding instant relief-that have advanced nothing but our immaturity and misery. Why do we do these things? Why don't we hang in there? James offers two reasons why our troubles often get the best of us. Lack of wisdom and lack of faith are the reasons. James is referring to the ability to view a test from Godd's perspective. Without this kind of wisdom, the ability to endure becomes elusive, and the goal of maturity may never be reached.
Yes indeed, I need God's wisdom. I better to asking for it. I have a few problems to solve.
Am I letting trials bring me to maturity as a Christian? Do I seek God in the midst of trials? Are the fruit of the Spirit evident in my life? Do others see my faith growing and continuing?

LET IT GROW

How am I supposed to ask for wisdom? Verses 6-8 tell us:
  • Ask in faith. I am to ask without doubting God's ability or desire to give me His wisdom. Do I have faith in His power and faithfulness to perform His promises? Whatever is asked, according to the will of God, is for His glory and my. Falwell said to ask myself, "How can I find purpose in this predicament?" (Wanting in verse 4 and lack in verse 5 stem from the same word, leipo, that mean " to leave." Prayer must be offered with confident trust in a sovereign God.
  • Ask in faith with nothing wavering. Wavering means to be at variance with one's self, hesitated, doubt. (Thayer's Lexicon) Do I have second thoughts about my prayer? Don't doubt about the thing asked for, whether it's right or not to ask for it, settle that before asking. Determine if it is His will to do it. If it is God's will, He will do it; God has the power to do it.  He is faithful to His promises. What's proper and suitable, God will give in His own time and way.
  • Don't be like the wave of the sea, driven by the wind and tossed. This doubter is driven and tossed by circumstances. I am to avow that God is all He claims to be under any any circumstances. God intends that trials will drive believers to greater dependency upon Him, by showing them their own inadequacy. The person who doubts God's ability or willingness to provide this wisdom is like the billowing, restless sea, moving back and forth with its endless tides, never able to settle.
  • If I am a waver, I may expect nothing from the Lord. He wants a 100% . Is my faith up and down, here today and gone tomorrow, strong in the easy times and weak in the trials, or is it stedfast, always strong and believing God?
  • If I am a double minded person, I will be unstable in all my ways. (verse 8) Double minded means two souled; unstable means inconstant, restless. (Thayer's Lexicon) It refers to having one's mind or soul divided between God and the world. Am I confused in my thinking, restless in thoughts, or shifting and moving? Swindoll describes this double minded person as one who wants his or her own will and God's at the same time.
[Resources: James, Practical and Authentic Living by C. Swindoll, The MacArthur Bible Commentary, The Book of James and First and Second Peter, by William Baker, Liberty Bible Commentary]


LET IT GO

Stay full-full of joy and faith.

Ask for God's wisdom when unsure about a situation, how to solve a problem.

Trust God in everything. He has a purpose and a will. His thoughts are higher than mine.

Keep praying, studying the Bible, meditating on Scripture, in fellowship with God and others.





No comments:

Post a Comment