Monday, April 23, 2012

Saying Good Bye

503.  "Saying Good Bye"                         April 23, 2012
Hebrews 13-Part 10
And I beseech you, brethren, suffer the word of exhortation: for I have written a letter unto you in few words.   Hebrews 13:22


LET IT GLOW

How did I say good bye? I always knew there would come a day when it was the last time I saw him or I would say my last good bye. We visited at Thanksgiving, but not at Christmas. I had plans to call him on his birthday, but it was too late. We buried Dad on his birthday. However, I did send new pictures of the kids, which he got in time. It's been 25 years so I can't remember the exact words we spoke.  So now, I should consider how I leave someone I love. What would I say if I knew those were the last words I would ever speak to them? Is there something else I would want to say?
Here we are at the end of another book in the Bible. It's hard to believe. How did the writer close his letter?

Because the most majestic and memorable benediction in the whole Bible is recorded in Hebrews 13:20-21, it is fitting to use it as the benediction for us.

May the God of peace, who through the blood of the eternal covenant brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great Shepherd of the sheep, equip you with everything good for doing his will, and may he work in us what is pleasing to him, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory for ever and ever.  (NIV)

Before we depart from our friends, don't we often wish them the best? "Have a good time, be safe, come again, see you later," sometimes  are our fairwells.

LET IT GROW

The primary nature and purpose of this epistle has been for exhortation. His last adminition is that they might bear with it. (Falwell)

New International Version says, Brothers, I urge you to bear with my word of exhortation, for I have written you only a short letter.

The KJV uses the word suffer, which means to bear with, to listen; exhortation means to admonish (warn against, reprove mildly), to exhort (urge to a course of action).

In his Bible Study guide on Hebrews, Charles Swindoll says:
In verses 22-25, the writer give three comands:
  1. Bear with the truth of God. (verse 22) He is encouraging his readers to do more than just listen to the Word and read its concepts. He wants his readers to abide by the concepts, to apply them to readers to take pains to absorb them.
  2. Take notice of the people of God. (verse 23) It is likely that Timothy had been released from prison. it was a common experience, back in days, to be incarcerated. We're surrounded by peoplein a variety of prisons. Instead of being prisoners of steel bars, they may be captives of illness, grief, the unwanted horror of divorce, or the battle of trying to discover themselves. We must take notice of them and reach out with acceptance.
  3. Express and accept greetings. (verse 24) Salute means to bid welcome, greet. In New Testament times, it referred to delicate affection and touching, kissing, embracing, and hugging. Chirstians in modern times usually shake hands. At times we need to embrace, not in a romantic or seductive sense, but as a way of exhibiting care and providing affirmation. This kind of touch says, "You're a part of me. You mean something to me."
  4. Grace: A Final Farewell. (verse 25) He didn't say, "Obey my warnings or else!" nor "Live and let live. Have fun!" He simply says, "Grace be with you all!"
Do I apply the Word of God and not just read it? Do I help those in their own prison to be set free by Jesus and His Word? How friendly am I with greeting someone? do I share the grace of God with others?

LET IT GO

Greet people like they are special.

Instead of just walking away, say a special fairwell to my loved ones.

Listen and apply God's Word to my life.

Ask God to open my eyes to see those in their own prison, who need Jesus to free them.

Spread grace around.

No comments:

Post a Comment