Thursday, April 26, 2012

Slam That Door

506.  "Slam That Door"                                April 26, 2012
James 1-Part 2
My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;  Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.   James 1:2-4  KJV

Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trial; knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance.  New American Standard

Dear brothers and sisters, when troubles come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy. For you know that when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow.
New LivingTranslation

LET IT GLOW

Brethren refers to both male and female believers, born again of the same grace, belong to the same family and household of faith, to the same Father, being all children of God, by faith in Christ.

Joy means to count the cause or occasion of joy; fall means to fall around; divers is veriegated, spotted, various, different; temptations are adversity, affliction (distress), trouble (our trial) sent by God and serving to test or prove ones faith, holiness, character.

What do we know about temptations, trials, troubles, testing?
  • They are inevitable. James didn't use the word if, but the word when I encounter various trials.That's the way life is-one test, trial, temptation after another. I can expect them to come, and they will come, in various, different, all kinds of sizes, shapes, and colors.
  • They have a purpose. Start seeing tests specifically designed by God to stretch our faith, not simply our pocketbooks, friendships, or health. View them as servants that bring about the circumstances needed to help us grow. (Swindoll's Bible Study Book on James)
David Guzik said, "Trials are occasions for joy, not discouraged resignation. Faith is tested through trials, not produced by trials. Trials reveal what faith we do have, not because God does not know how much faith we have, but to make it evident to ourselves and those around us. If trials don't produce faith, what does? Romans 10:17 says, So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God. Faith is built in us as we hear, understand, and trust in God's Word."

LET IT GROW

During the hot summer days, the front and back doors of our country house would be left open. We had screen doors with wooden frames to keep the flies out.  Those were the days before we had air conditioning. It allowed any breeze that was passing by our way to enter the house and cool us off. But as a child who was running outside to play, I always let the screen door slam shut behind me. How many times did Mom tell me not to slam the screen door? It didn't matter to me, with chores done, I was running to a life of freedom outside.
After studying today's scriptures, I realize there is a door I need to slam, the door of temptation to sin. An idle mind is the devil's playground is a saying of long ago. I find that is where he tempts me to dwell on thoughts that I shouldn't be thinking. Now that I recognize his techniques, I say, "I slam the door on that thought." It stops. Now I am trying to replace a bad thought with Scripture. Give it a try, friends. Philippians 4:8 tells us the good things on which we are to think.

Now that I understand about this testing and troubles, that they'll come and for a purpose, how do I handle them? How can I overcome temptations so they don't overcome me?
If I don't, then temptation will lead me to sinful actions. Sin waits at the door of my life. (Cain's jealousy grew and resulted into murder.)

I found some answers as I read Blackaby's devotional book, Experiencing God Day by Day:
  • Temptations can come at unexpected moments; immediately after a spiritual victory.
  • Stop and deal with sinful thoughts and selfish feelings.
  • Evaluate my life to reveal temptations I should remove.
  • Remove anything in my environment that tempts me to sin. (Deut. 22:21)
  • Avoid every kind of temptation (1Thess. 5:22).
  • Renounce sin.
  • Run; Joseph fled immediately (Gen. 39:12).
  • Stay close to God; ask for His strength to resist.
  • Refuse to compromise my integrity; David did in 1 Sam. 26:8.
  • Watch over my heart.
  • Rely on God's Word.
  • Jesus is my model.
Since I know all of this, then the test, trials, and troubles that come my way are supposed to produce patience, they do. Ha! I'm guilty of griping and complaining. I probably could get an award for it.

Patience means steadfastness, constancey, endurance, according to Thayer's Leixicon.
Guzik says that patience means to remain under.

Webster's Dictionary defines patience as endurance of pain or provocation without complaint; the power to wait calmly; perseverance.

Oh boy, I don't need a cupful of patience, I need a gallon. No complaining? Waiting calmly? Hmmm.

When trials are received with faith, it produces patience. but patience isn't inevitably produced in times of trial. If difficulties are received in unbelief and grumbling, trials can produce bitterness and discouragement. this is why James exhorts us to count it all joy. Counting it all joy is faith's response to a time of trial. (Guzik)

When stretched, faith doesn't break, it produces genuine stability(Swindoll)

What are we told to do in verse 4? Let means cooperate. Give in to the testing. Let the test go on, regardless of your circumstances. Don't cut short the process that will bring about your maturity. (Swindoll)

Here are the Greek meanings of more words:
perfect-brought to its end, finished; wanting nothing necessary to completeness;
work-toil or struggle with hindrances;
entire-free from sin, faultless;
wanting-to lag, be inferior;
nothing-in nothing.

So I am to cooperate, enduring so the trial's purpose is completed in me, in order to be complete, free from sin, lagging in nothing. Even when those little agitations come, I'm not to sin in my attitude. Wow!

Too often we grasp relief from trouble so eagerly that we fail to receive the entire lesson that God intended for us. We are cautioned to observe our attitudes more than our circumstances. If one does this, he will realize the road to Christian maturity. Perfection is reserved for the life to come (1John 1:8). (Falwell)

One who has patience is able to remain under a potential threat without panicking. (Baker)


LET IT GO

Slam the door on temptation to sin.

Remove any thing that causes me to be tempted.

Stay in God's Word; yield to the Holy Spirit.

Strive to pass the tests with patience, keeping faith.

Stop complaining about the little things that go wrong.

Smile :0)








    No comments:

    Post a Comment