Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Content with a Twelve-year Old Car

                                        
Hebrews 13-Part 2
Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me.  Hebrews 13:5-6 KJV

LET IT GLOW

There are four promises in verses 5-6, which are quoting Old Testament verses, .
1. God will never leave thee.
2. He will never forsake thee.
3. The Lord is my helper.
4. I will not fear what man shall do unto me.

God told these promises to three men and a nation-he would never leave, fail, forsake them. To whom did He speak them?
*to Jacob in Genesis 28:15,
*to Joshua in Joshua 1:5,
*to Solomon in 1 Chronicles 28:20, and
*to Israel in Dueteronomy 31:6,8.

It is a divine adage. What was said to them extends also to us. He will never withdraw His presence nor His help. (Bengel)

John Gill says, "These promises made Joshua belongs to all believers. God won't leave us destitute of His presence, nor will He forsake the work of His own hands in them, but will perform it until the day of Christ. He won't leave or forsake them, so as that they shall perish. He won't forsake them in life, nor at death, nor at judgement. He is able to help, and does help, when none else can."
Men can do nothing against God, and God can make all that men do against his people to turn to their good. (Matthew Henry)
The last promise is quoted from Psalm 118:6, The Lord is on my side; I will not fear: what can man do unto me?
The word fear means to be afraid; to be struck with fear; to be seized with alarm, of those who fear harm or injury.
Do I still fear people after reading these promises?
Isaiah 12:2a states, Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid.

LET IT GROW

My 12 year old car had a dent in the front finder (my fault), an air conditioner that didn't work, the seals around the windows chopped up (ugly), 3 windows that wouldn't roll up or down because they stuck in that positon, back armrest broken off, just to name a few problems. I spent a few years dissatisfied with it, grumbling any chance I got. Finally, seeing the advantages of keeping it instead of buying a new one (twice the gas mileage of an SUV, no car payment), I didn't want to get rid of it. After all, I only drove it to church and work twice a week. Then a car, just like it, only a different make, was dropped into my lap. Now that was God's blessing to me. It is even the same color. Why can't I learn that lesson about other things? Contentment, grateful to God for all He has given me.

The first part of our key verses tells us how our manner of life (conversation) should be-without covetousness and be content with what we have.

Covetousness means loving money; loving silver.

This is the only scripture listed which has that particular meaning. Found elsewhere, it means dishonest gain, and the wish to have more.

Don't love money; be satisfied with what you have, states New Living Translation.

Let your way of life be free from the love of money, being content with what you have, says New American Standard.

Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, says New International Version.

Greed is a sickness of the soul, a malignancy in the spirit, a bottomless pit that Christians are to steer away from at all costs. The love of money is the root of all knds of evil because it is a kind of addictive idolatry (1Tiom.6:10). The more the greedy person gets, the more he or she wants. (Shepherd's Notes)

"It is not money or the lack of money that is the problem, but the love of money. Christians are not to set their affections on the almighty dollar or make the increase of money their purpose for living," states Swindoll in his Bible study book Hebrews II.

Liberty Bible Commentary states:
These Jewish Christians to whom this epistle was written had been spoiled financially by their persecutors, and they had accepted it joyfully at first (10:34). But it grew more difficult to live with the condition as it continued. The author then bases his admonition to contentment upon two Old Testament promises. When trust is placed in money, it will only produce covetousness and contention (1Tim. 6:9-10).

Lusting after material riches is "a root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness" (1Tim. 3:3). (MacArthur)

It sounds like, that often as the new wears off, we become dissatisfied. It wasn't until I became content with my 12 year old car that God provided a better one for me. (same year, but better condition)
The second point in verse 5 tells us to be content. Content means to be satisfied with a thing.
Paul learned to be content in whatever state he was in (Phil. 4:11-12). Oh, that I could.

Covetousness is the opposite of contentment. Contentment has much more to do with what you are on the inside rather than what you have. Real contentment comes only when we trust in God to meet our needs and to be our security. It's amazing that we are often more likely to put security and find contentment in things far less reliable and secure than God Himself. (Guzik)

Contentment frees you to enjoy every good thing God has given you. It demonstrataes your belief that God loves you and has your best interest in mind. Discontent stems from the sin of ingratitude and a lack of faiath that God loves you enough to provide for all that you need. Strive to be grateful for all that God has given you. A grateful heart has no room for envy. (Blackaby)

Paul told Timothy, But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. And having food and raiment let us be therewith content. (1Tim. 6:6-8)

Swindoll said, "It is doubtful that anything can bring us greater and more lasting satisfaction in life than being committed to our mates and contented with our life-styles. If it has a price tag, it won't bring lasting satisfaction."

Do I really need more things outside my current situation to make me happy or fulfilled?
Do I accept my life-style as God-given and sufficient, regardless of my surroundings or any other person's status?

I don't know about you, but I have some homework.

LET IT GO

Let go of discontentment and confess it as sin.

Be  satisfied and grateful for my lot in life.

Thank God for all He has given me.

Don't worry, be happy.

Trust God to never leave me nor forsake me.

No comments:

Post a Comment