Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Step Around the Obstacles

Hebrews 12-Part 3
Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees; And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed.
Hebrews 12:12-13

LET IT GLOW

When I was a kid, I enjoyed walking over the forty acres on which I grew up. The hillside below the chicken houses was covered with white daisies in the springtime. So I would take the cows' path and go pick a bouquet . Now, I had to watch where I was stepping while I was on the cows' path because the cows would often leave a patty or two there. I certainly didn't want to take home anything on my shoes, much less the smell. I couldn't clear that path, but I could step around the obstacles on it. For some reason, the daisies are gone now, some fifty years later, but the cows still have a path there. (It's good to know some things don't change.)

Here we see an athelete who has weakened hands/arms and feeble knees. It depicts those who were too weak or weary to run with endurance the course which lay before them.

Are you weak and heavy hearted? Tell it to Jesus; He's a friend that's well known. You've no other, such a friend or brother, tell it to Jesus alone. What a song.

What am I to do when I get weak hands and feeble knees?
*If/when my hands are letting go, slipping, then tighten my grip, take a firm hold, strengthen my
  drooping hands, take a  new grip with my tired hands.
*If/when I feel weak in the knees, then stand firm, stiffen the stand of my knocking knees, strengthen
   my knees, strengthen my paralyzed knees.

[References: The New Living Translation, New International Version, Beck Translation, Williams Translation, N T in Modern Translation ]

Lift up (anorthoo in Greek), means to straighten up, as with the crippled woman who was healed (Luke 13:13) and once more stood erect.Some of the runners have become so weary that they have become stooped and need the spiritual strength to be straightened up again. The path must be simple for those who are weak. It is the weak one who is commanded to keep his path straight for his feet. He must keep the obstacles which would trip him up spiritually out of his path. (Falwell)

The Message says it this way, So don't sit around on your hands! No more dragging your feet! Clear the path for long-distance runners so no one will trip and fall, so no one will step in a hole and sprain an ankle. Help each other out. And run for it!

Can it get any plainer than this? Even when I am discouraged or disciplined by the Lord, I am to come to Jesus with my sins, troubles, situations, etc. Get on my hands and knees before the Lord and have a good heart-to-heart talk with Him. I have to clear my path first, then I can help others in their struggles and challenges of life.

David Guzik says, "Get strong, get right, get bold, and watch out."

Charles Swindoll tells the one being disciplined, "Don't fight, don't resist it, don't panic. We're all connected with one another in the Body of Christ. some members are in need and must have role models. These are the limbs that are about to be put out of joint. We each have a part of our own selves that is in need of exercising and healing."

Are my hands and knees sluggish, inactive in prayer? in hearing the Word? in holding fast to their profession? Are they weary and fatigued with weights and burdens of sins and affliction?


LET IT GROW

Do I have any obstacles on my path of life? Yes, some try to trip me into sin, some try to turn my ankle of faith, some are just stinky temptations wanting to stick to me. Jesus helps me overcome. He forgives me when I fail and sin.

If I don't  make my paths straight for my feet, what might happen? ( In Webster's Dictionary, lest means for fear that, to avoid.) I should do it:
  • for fear that I become lame, crippled, disabled, dislocated, put out of joint, or to turn aside;(Christians can leave the teachings of the Word for the world, or legalism);
  • to follow, persue, peace with all men;
  • so I strive for holines because without holiness, I will not see the Lord;
  • looking diligently, for fear of some not saved and fail to experience grace;
  • for fear of any root of bitterness spring up to cause trouble and defile me;
  • for fear of becoming a fornicator, sexually immoral person;
  • for fear of that I become a profane person, who makes something sacred to be common.
LET IT GO

Strengthen my faith, holding tight to Jesus.

Stand firm for the Word of God.

Clear the path for my feet; walk in faith, holiness, truth, and the Word.

Get strong, right, bold, and watch out.

Clear the path for others so they don't stumble and fall, spiritually, and turn an ankle by turning away from God and His teachings.

God is at work; give Him the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment